Charles Salem Hallab is a Corporate & Securities partner working between Mayer Brown’s Washington DC and Middle East offices. He advises clients on a variety of international corporate and commercial matters, with a focus on acquisitions, dispositions, restructurings, integrations, joint ventures and other cross-border transactions and arrangements.
Charles serves as chair of the firm's Middle East Practice and leader of the International Joint Venture & Strategic Alliance Practice.
International Joint Ventures, Strategic Alliances and International Business Combinations
Charles advises clients on a variety of international corporate and commercial matters, with particular emphasis on international business combinations and collaborations, including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and other ongoing bilateral or multilateral contractual arrangements.
Charles manages a variety of corporate and commercial transactions inbound to, and outbound from, the Middle East, with a focus on GCC countries such as Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
Joint Ventures, Strategic Alliances and International Business Combinations
- Represented BP in the formation of a multibillion dollar, multijurisdictional petrochemical joint venture with Solvay and the subsequent buyout of Solvay's interest in that joint venture, including extensive work on finance support agreements, equipment leases, service and operations agreements and other ancillary commercial agreements and arrangements.
- Represented a large Chinese conglomerate on a billion dollar acquisition, joint venture and development project in Hawaii, as well as subsequent acquisitions of beverage companies.
- Represented Starbucks in a series of international commercial alliances / contractual joint ventures with Kraft providing for the supply, production, global distribution and reverse distribution of coffee and coffee products and the license of intellectual property related thereto.
- Represented a major auto parts manufacturer in an international joint venture and license arrangement in India for the regional manufacturing and distribution of automotive parts.
- Represented a US industrial manufacturer with respect to a multifaceted commercial (contractual JV) agreement with a Taiwanese company for industrial machine products, including a manufacturing, license, distributor/reseller and sales agency agreement.
- Represented Innovene in the separation/spin-off of its olefins chemicals and derivatives business, including spearheading the review, negotiation, drafting and implementation of a vast and complex network of commercial agreements covering interface, supply, services, logistics, and cooperation.
- Represented a US specialty chemical company in a major multi-staged domestic project involving a series of joint ventures for the development and use of technology and the application thereof to the use and sale of consumer care chemical products, including corporate and commercial restructuring and manufacturing, supply, distribution and license agreements.
- Represented a major international chemical company in a secondment as the substitute general counsel for its US businesses, dealing with all manner of corporate and commercial matters.
- Represented a large US procurement and logistics company in the implementation of several complex global procurement agreements with various large-scale suppliers of office supplies and services.
- Represented a US auto-parts manufacturer with respect to a pre-joint venture global distribution arrangement and agreement with a Chinese company in the automobile industry.
- Represented Starbucks in a domestic commercial alliance with Hershey providing for the supply, production, distribution and reverse distribution of Starbucks branded chocolate products and the license of IP related thereto.
- Represented over 100 companies in various joint ventures, strategic alliances and other bilateral and multilateral corporate and commercial arrangements around the world.
- Represented Dow Chemical Company in the execution of a large, complex, production, offtake and marketing joint venture in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Represented a major defense contractor on large offset projects in Saudi Arabia and the UAE, including with respect to commercial and compliance aspects.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company on the separation and spin-off of its business in the Middle East.
- Represented the Clorox Company on its joint ventures in Saudi Arabia and subsequent commercial and compliance matters elsewhere in the region.
- Represented two of the premier travel website companies on various matters related to expanding into the Middle East.
- Represented the John Buck Company in a ground-breaking Abu Dhabi-based joint venture with a government-owned real estate development organization for the cooperative pursuit of real estate development opportunities in the UAE.
- Represented a large US electronics manufacturer in a variety of corporate and commercial matters and agreements relating to the Middle East, including with respect to a Saudi Arabian manufacturing joint venture.
- Represented a large US public relations firm in the multi-jurisdictional acquisition of a Middle East PR firm and the establishment of operations in the UAE related thereto.
- Represented a premier Dubai-based private equity firm in the acquisition of a controlling stake in a major Saudi Arabian air transportation and services company.
- Represented the Capital Markets Authority of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to rewrite the country's Commercial (Corporate) Code based on Western legal principles and international best practices.
- Represented one of the largest Middle East television broadcast companies in the implementation of an international broadcast license and distribution agreement in the US.
- Represented the son of the King of Saudi Arabia as outside general counsel, including with respect to US investments and international business ventures.
- Represented a senior member of the Qatari Royal Family in the acquisition of a marquis hotel property in the US.
- Represented the Crown Prince of Dubai in various corporate investments/acquisitions in the US.
- Represented the Government of Lebanon in high-level matters of international public law, including with respect to the United Nations.
- Represented over 100 US and multinational companies entering, partnering and/or expanding in the Middle East through various corporate or commercial transactions and arrangements.
Climate Change and Environmental Markets
- Represented a large Middle Eastern conglomerate on ESG analysis and implementation regarding its global investments.
- Represented the World Bank on issues related to carbon registries and funds, including matters involving carbon trading.
- Represented Pollination Capital, a leading Climate Change advisory and investment firm, on international structuring issues, commercial contracts and other international corporate matters.
- Represented a US energy company in a large-scale project with respect to the creation and implementation of template documentation providing for the purchase, monetization and/or sale of carbon offset credits resulting from the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Represented Equator Environmental in multiple Latin American joint venture and strategic alliance agreements for the development and monetization of carbon offset credits through regional forestation projects and for the brokerage and sale of such credits.
- Represented Carbon Currency Ventures in a global joint venture for the development and monetization of carbon offset credits resulting from industrial methane projects.
- Represented Greenhouse Gas Services on structuring relating to a joint venture among three major US carbon market participants to create a US market focused VER project developer and aggregator.
The George Washington University, BA
Georgetown University - The Robert Emmet McDonough School of Business, MBA
Georgetown University Law Center, JD
- District of Columbia
- Knowledge Partner B20 2020
- Executive Board Member, U.S.-Saudi Arabian Business Council
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Board Member, The Chicago Council on Global Affairs
- Member, Sons of the American Revolution
- Two-time recipient of BTI Consulting’s ‘Client Service All-Star’ recognition