Aaron Gavant is a partner in Mayer Brown's Restructuring group, where he maintains a diversified practice focused on both structured finance workout matters as well as traditional in-court and out-of-court restructurings.
Within the corporate trust default space, Aaron most prominently represents large financial institutions in their positions as trustee, servicer and in other related roles on distressed or defaulted securitizations and other structured transactions. He has experience on a range of deal types, including residential mortgage-backed trusts and whole business securitizations, and in a range of industries, from mortgage finance to energy to retail.
Aaron’s traditional restructuring practice is similarly broad. His clients include institutional lenders and bank groups, entities considering acquisitions or financings as part of bankruptcy sale processes, large companies dealing with distress-related issues, and private credit funds and other alternative lenders.
Aaron is a key contributor to the firm’s thought leadership efforts, including as a primary editor for the firm’s Real Bankruptcy Intel blog. He was named a 2021 Emerging Leader by The M&A Advisor and a 2021 Americas Rising Star Dealmaker by Global M&A Network.
- Represented prepetition and postpetition administrative and collateral agent in connection with EP Energy Corporation bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented administrative agent in bankruptcy proceedings of The Paper Store in Massachusetts bankruptcy court.
- Represented special servicer in multiple securitization workout matters resulting from COVID-related disruptions
- Represented administrative agent for a $1 billion prepetition first lien facility in the Chapter 11 cases of Samson Resources Group and its affiliates, which prior to its filing in 2016 had been the largest independent upstream oil and gas company in the United States.
- Represented the predecessors in title to Memorial Production Partners with respect to a $150 million dispute over a decommissioning trust relating to oil and gas operations.
- Represented respondents in Taggart v. Lorenzen bankruptcy matter before United States Supreme Court.
- Represented bond trustee in connection with successful restructuring of Odebrecht Oil & Gas and its subsidiaries and affiliates, which was awarded as the “Restructuring Deal of the Year” by both the International Financial Law Review and Latin Lawyer.
- Represented indenture trustee in connection with bankruptcy proceeding of Aurora Loan Servicing.
- Represented multiple indenture trustees in connection with bondholder direction and indemnity negotiations, investor solicitation processes with respect to range of transaction types including RMBS and student loans.
- Represented indenture trustee in connection with proceedings pursuant to Article 77 of New York's Civil Practice Law and Rules to approve of $5 billion and $2 billion global RMBS settlements.
- Represented senior mortgage lenders, including through special servicers under RMBS securitizations, in restructurings and bankruptcies of real estate companies, including single asset borrowers and including involving a tenant-in-common ownership structure.
- Represented prepetition secured lender in connection in the LTAP US LLP Chapter 11 case and obtained orders granting relief from the automatic stay and denying the debtor’s attempt to obtain approval of a “priming” debtor-in-possession financing facility following a full evidentiary hearing regarding disputed valuation issues.
- Represented one of the world’s largest providers of telecommunications services in connection with the Chapter 11 case of a competitive local exchange carrier.
- Represented prepetition secured lender in connection with bankruptcy, district and appellate court litigation arising from the Sentinel Management Group Chapter 11 case.
University of Maryland School of Law, JD, magna cum laude
Notes & Comments Editor, Journal of Business and Technology Law; Runner-Up Best Oralist Myerowitz Moot Court Competition; Order of the Coif
Yeshiva University, BA, Political Science, summa cum laude