Anjali Garg is an associate in Mayer Brown’s Washington DC office and a member of the Consumer Financial Services group. She handles a broad range of federal and state compliance, examination and government enforcement matters, primarily for consumer financial product and service providers.
Prior to practicing law, Anjali was a lead public affairs specialist at the Internal Revenue Service, where she drafted IRS letters and notices, call center scripts and procedures and web content. She received the IRS Commissioner’s Award in 2011 and an IRS Excellence Award in 2009.
Some of Anjali’s recent engagements include:
- Representing companies in connection with federal and state investigations involving debt collection, sales practices, consumer deposit accounts, and mortgage servicing.
- Representing companies in connection with federal investigations involving the False Claims Act.
- Responding to CFPB Potential Action and Request for Response (“PARR”) letters on auto finance, mortgage servicing, and fair lending matters.
- Representing companies in connection with federal investigations of unfair, deceptive or abusive acts or practices (UDAAP) and the Mortgage Acts and Practices Advertising Rule.
- Responding to state and federal examination findings regarding mortgage servicing and originations.
- Assisting in the performance of a compliance review of a bank’s FHA servicing activities.
- Assisting in the performance of compliance reviews of companies’ fair lending compliance management systems and preparing companies for fair lending examinations.
- Reviewing companies’ advertisements, consumer-facing content, and business practices for compliance with applicable laws and possible UDAAP.
- Performing regulatory due diligence reviews for portfolio acquisitions of, or investments in, consumer finance products and services including auto leases, solar financing, debt settlement services, consumer loans, and mortgage servicing.
Georgetown University Law Center, JD
Wake Forest University, BA, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- AARP Legal Counsel for the Elderly – Young Lawyers Alliance