Anjali Garg is an associate in Mayer Brown’s Washington DC office and a member of the Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement group. She handles a broad range of federal and state compliance, examination and government enforcement matters, primarily for consumer financial product and service providers. Anjali was previously seconded to HSBC Bank plc in London where she served as Senior Legal Counsel to the Chief of Staff in Group Legal.
Some of Anjali’s recent engagements include:
- Representing companies in connection with federal and state investigations involving debt collection, sales practices, consumer deposit accounts, and mortgage servicing.
- Representing companies in connection with federal investigations involving the False Claims Act.
- Responding to CFPB Potential Action and Request for Response (“PARR”) letters on auto finance, mortgage servicing, and fair lending matters.
- Representing companies in connection with federal investigations of unfair, deceptive or abusive acts or practices ("UDAAP") and the Mortgage Acts and Practices Advertising Rule.
- Developing and implementing ethical principles governing the use of big data and AI for a large international financial institution (retail, wholesale, and insurance), including developing internal governance structures, policies, procedures, guidance, and training; briefing financial and data privacy regulators on data ethics (including in the US, UK, Hong Kong, Canada, UAE, Singapore, and Mexico); tracking international legislative and regulatory developments; reporting to senior management committees and the board; and interacting with international organizations on the subject.
- Responding to state and federal examination findings regarding mortgage servicing and originations.
- Assisting in the performance of a compliance review of a bank’s FHA servicing activities.
- Assisting in the performance of compliance reviews of companies’ fair lending compliance management systems and preparing companies for fair lending examinations.
- Reviewing companies’ advertisements, consumer-facing content, and business practices for compliance with applicable laws and possible UDAAP.
- Performing regulatory due diligence reviews for portfolio acquisitions of, or investments in, consumer finance products and services including auto leases, solar financing, debt settlement services, consumer loans, and mortgage servicing.
Prior to practicing law, Anjali was a Lead Public Affairs specialist at the Internal Revenue Service, where she drafted IRS letters and notices, call center scripts, procedures, and web content. She received the IRS Commissioner’s Award in 2011 and an IRS Excellence Award in 2009.
Georgetown University Law Center, JD
Wake Forest University, BA, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- AARP Legal Counsel for the Elderly – Young Lawyers Alliance