Daniel Gallagher is a senior associate in the London office of Mayer Brown’s Intellectual Property and Technology Transactions practices, as well as the Cybersecurity & Data Privacy practice.
Daniel advises clients on the creation, protection and exploitation of IP rights in a diverse range of sectors and on complex global IP and technology transactions; including technology and business process outsourcing arrangements, digital transformation projects, licensing and development agreements, collaborations, distribution agreements, cloud services, and other technology licensing matters. He has represented clients in relation to fintech, insurtech and proptech transactions. He also advises on the IP and technology aspects of mergers, acquisitions, disposals and joint ventures where IP and technology are integral to the transaction.
Daniel advises clients on how to comply with data protection law, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), global data transfer issues, theft or loss of data, and the appropriate security and privacy measures to take to protect data, including in contracts with third parties.
Daniel has spent a year on secondment to the IP, technology and commercial legal team of a global financial institution. He has also spent six months seconded to EMI Music Publishing, shortly before its acquisition by Sony/ATV.
Daniel has a particular interest in the IP and data issues arising from emerging technologies.
Emerging technologies and digital transformation
- Represented HSBC on its negotiation of a development and collaboration agreement with EXL to sell and monetise a "know your client" software solution that combines robotic process automation and machine-learning technologies to significantly reduce the time it takes to check the compliance status of clients. Further information about the solution can be found in this article published on FT.com (subscription required).
- Represented AllLife, the South African-based insurtech company, on its agreement with UK mutual life, pensions and investments company Royal London to launch a pioneering life insurance product for people with diabetes in the UK. The product uses advanced robotic-underwriting and algorithmic pricing to significantly reduce the risk of providing cover for type 1 and 2 diabetics. Further information about the solution can be found in this article published on BusinessInsider.com.
- Represented a global, systematically important financial institution headquartered in New York City on the outsourcing of email and other platforms to a public cloud environment on Microsoft Office 365.
- Represented a global, systematically important financial institution headquartered in London on its procurement of public cloud services from Microsoft.
- Advised an outsourced facilities management provider in relation to its connected workspace (Internet-of-Things) services, with a particular focus on the collection and uses of big data received from sensors and other devices installed within buildings. This included drafting the IP and data protection provisions in the provider's template services agreement.
- Assisted a global financial services institution on the development of a new digital platform for investment administration, including advising on rights under data licences and negotiating an agile software development agreement.
Outsourcing and licensing
- Represented a global investment bank with the outsourcing of its global IT facilities management services.
- Represented a global financial services institution on the multi-jurisdiction outsourcing of its business change management services.
- Advised a global financial services institution on the outsourcing of certain hardware supply and end-user support services.
- Represented a UK insurance company on the negotiation of a trade mark licence agreement for a co-branded employee benefits service.
- Assisted a cybersecurity company providing tokenless authentication solutions with its template services agreements, reseller agreements and end-user software licences.
- Assisted a managed security service provider by producing its template master agreement for the provision of cybersecurity services (cyber threat intelligence, network monitoring and incident management).
- Represented a global investment bank in outsourcing its reception-desk, catering and vending services.
- Advising clients in compliance with data protection laws (including the GDPR) and related guidance; global data transfers including applying for Binding Corporate Rules (BCRs) and implementing standard contractual clauses (and other data transfer agreements) for cross-border data flows; the data protection/privacy aspects of complex technology transactions, processing big data and processing data using artificial intelligence; drafting data protection policies and fair processing notices; responding to subject access requests; and disclosing personal data in connection with regulatory investigations and litigation.
Mergers, acquisitions, disposals, and joint ventures
- Represented a global credit rating company on the negotiation of IP and data licence arrangements as part of a newly formed joint venture, with a particular focus on the scope of rights granted under in-bound data agreements.
- Advised Shearwater Group plc on IP and technology matters relating to its reverse takeover of SecurEnvoy Limited (a leading provider of multifactor authentication software).
- Advised Oxford BioDynamics plc, a revenue generating biotechnology company focussed on the development of epigenetic biomarkers, on IP and technology matters relating to its admission to AIM, with a market capitalisation of £150 million and a £20 million fundraising.
- Advised the main shareholders of OpenCloud Limited, which included private equity funds Advent Venture Partners, the New Zealand Venture Fund and Nokia, on IP and technology matters relating to its sale to Metaswitch Networks Limited, a leading cloud native communications software company.
- Advised Vitruvian Partners on IP and data matters relating to its $215 million acquisition of OAG Aviation Holdings Limited, a global leader in aviation information and intelligence, from AXIO Data Group Limited.
King's College London
University of Oxford, St Catherine’s College
University of Oxford, Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice
- England and Wales
- Recommended – Commercial Contracts, Legal 500 2018 and 2019.