Marcelo has represented numerous shipowners, top-tier oilfield service companies, shipyards and financiers in a wide range of projects. His distinguished clients and engagements have included:
- Represented a US-based client in Brazil in the structuring and licensing of a floating cement terminal in Brazilian inland waters.
- Represented a foreign client in the licensing of an offshore regasification terminal in Brazil.
- Represented a Brazilian shipyard in a renegotiation of an EPC contract in excess of US$ 1.5 billion for the supply and integration of modules of two Floating Production Storage and Offloading vessels – FPSO.
- Represented two of the largest subsea construction companies in regulatory matters with the Brazilian National Agency of Waterway Transportation – ANTAQ.
- Represented a variety of oil and gas service providers, ranging from offshore survey companies to FPSO operators, in the start-up process in Brazil, including negotiation, analysis and adaptation of model forms to Brazilian law, negotiation of several agreements, personnel hiring and other relevant matters.
- Represented several shipowners of the offshore sector in bid proceedings in Brazil.
- Represented a large oil and gas service provider in the restructuring of its FPSO business.
- Represented a top-tier tanker company in bid proceedings in Brazil.
- Represented a global cruise ship broker in bid proceedings in Brazil.
- Represented a Brazilian client in the acquisition and importation of a world-class yacht from an Italian shipyard.
- Represented a large shipowner of offshore vessels in a commercial dispute in Brazil concerning Brazilian preference laws and regulations favoring the chartering of Brazilian-flagged vessels.
- Represented the main international trade association for merchant shipowners & operators and one of the largest ship registers by tonnage in an amicus curiae case concerning the validity and enforcement of foreign ship mortgages in Brazil.
- Represented an European bank in the repossession and re-exportation of an FPSO unit operating in Brazilian waters.
- Represented shipowners and oil and gas service providers in several charter party disputes against national and international oil and gas exploration and production companies operating in Brazil.
- Represented a major FPSO operator in legal proceedings with the Brazilian Maritime Tribunal concerning maritime incidents and application of Brazilian maritime regulations.
- Represented an European ship finance bank in the repossession of two offshore support vessels operating in Brazilian waters.
- Represented a shipping agent in a ship recycling transaction to lift suspensions imposed by the Brazilian Navy and Brazilian Environmental Agency for the sail of a Brazilian tanker to international waters.
- Represented a drilling contractor in Brazil on a syndicated loan of approximately US$ 575 million for the construction and operation of a semi-submersible drilling rig.
- Represented borrowers on a number credit default swap transactions in connection with ship finances.
- Represented a drilling contractor in Brazil on a syndicated loan with the participation of a Norwegian export credit agency in excess of US$ 940 million for the construction and operation of two deepwater drilling ships.
- Represented an oil and gas service provider on a multi-million dollar bond issuance.
- Represented a global shipping fund on a multilateral finance for the construction of a fleet of Brazilian-flagged offshore support vessels.
- Represented an oil and gas service provider on a multi-million dollar private placement, including negotiation of shareholders agreement and joint-venture documentation.
- Represented a global shipping company on a multi-million dollar bilateral finance for the acquisition of four tankers and bulk carriers.
- Seconded at the London office of Campbell Johnston Clark in 2013.
- Seconded to a top-tier oilfield service company as in-house counsel in 2011.
London School of Economics and Political Science, LLM in International Business Law
Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Member, Brazilian Association of Maritime Law