Dan is an experienced litigator in Mayer Brown’s New York Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He regularly represents large corporations in financial litigation, licensing and contract disputes, consumer litigation, and regulatory investigations. Dan also advises clients on bankruptcy law and restructuring. He has represented debtors in Chapter 11 proceedings and major financial institutions in bankruptcy-related litigation.
Dan has managed all phases of commercial litigation from pre-litigation disputes through trials and appeals in state and federal courts. He has a proven record of success with multiple trials, appeals, domestic and international arbitrations, negotiations and settlements. Dan also strategically works with clients and federal agencies to resolve or defend against regulatory investigations and related civil proceedings.
Dan regularly counsels clients in efficient eDiscovery practices and reducing data spend. He has also represented clients in the wake of data breaches and cybersecurity incidents and is knowledgeable about data privacy laws such as the California Consumer Privacy Act and General Data Protection Regulation. Dan has certifications and specializations in Regulatory Compliance and Privacy Law and Data Protection.
Before joining Mayer Brown, Dan graduated cum laude from St. John’s University School of Law, where he obtained his JD and also took it upon himself to simultaneously study restructuring law through the St. John’s LLM in bankruptcy program – the nation’s only LLM program devoted to bankruptcy law.
Notable Trial Experience
- Secured total trial victory for BNY Mellon in the first trial of noteholders against a residential mortgage-backed securitization trustee.
- Successfully co-chaired a trial defending a pro bono client against civil charges that sought to remove custody of her children.
- Achieved a favorable settlement for a major financial institution after a trial spanning more than six weeks before the United States District Court for the Southern District of New Jersey.
- Obtained outright victory for a major pharmaceutical company in an arbitration with hearings spanning more than 3 weeks. Defended the arbitration award on appeal to the Southern District of New York.
- Successfully mediated international arbitration on behalf of a large manufacturing client following a highly contested licensing dispute.
- Successfully mediated claims brought on behalf of a major pharmaceutical company following a complex fraud. Achieved a favorable settlement for the client in excess of $300 million.
Notable Settlements or Dispositive Victories
- Represented BNY Mellon in lawsuit by noteholders against the Bank in its position as residential mortgage-backed securitization trustee. Secured a complete victory on summary judgment.
- Negotiated and settled multiple FCRA claims on behalf of an industry-leading telecommunications company.
- Successfully dismissed claim against major financial institution on the pleadings involving alleged trademark and copyright infringements.
- Negotiated and settled TCPA claim on behalf of cable-television provider.
- Certified in Regulatory Compliance (including Privacy Law and Data Protection)
- Certified in Intellectual Property Law
- Extensive experience with eDiscovery and data management. Knowledgeable in data privacy and cybersecurity, with a genuine interest in emerging technologies.
St. John's University School of Law, JD, cum laude
Senior Articles Editor, St. John’s Law Review
Providence College, BA
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York