Christian Fabian is a transactional lawyer and corporate adviser whose practice focuses on U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and corporate and securities law matters.
Christian represents purchasers and sellers of domestic and international businesses in complex public and private mergers, tender offers, stock and asset acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and strategic alliances. He advises clients regarding private equity investments, recapitalizations, private placements of securities and other corporate finance matters, as well as corporate governance and securities law matters.
He has worked with clients in a number of industries, including gaming, telecommunications, automotive, packaging, food, consulting, healthcare, aviation, construction, real estate, chemicals, infrastructure, energy and technology.
Christian was selected to serve a two-year fellowship with the Chicago Council of Global Affairs, an independent, nonpartisan organization rated as the number one think tank to watch by the Global Go To Think Tank Index. He was named a “Client Service All-Star” by BTI Consulting Group in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019. In 2013-2017, Christian was designated an "Illinois Super Lawyer" by the influential Law & Politics and the publishers of Chicago Magazine. He has also been recognized as an “Honored Member” by Cambridge’s Who’s Who Registry of Executives, Professionals and Entrepreneurs. Prior to joining Mayer Brown, he held engineering positions with TRW Vehicle Safety Systems, Inc., in Detroit (1989-1992).
- Represented Caterpillar Inc. in a global M&A project to dispose of Bucyrus mining equipment sales, service and support businesses in the United States, Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and other parts of the world.
- Represented Group Odinsa S.A., a Columbian infrastructure company, in the acquisition of a 50% interest in the Mariscal Sucre Airport in Quito, Ecuador.
- Represented Equity International in its private equity investment in ARG Realty Group, a commercial real estate company based in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Represented Equity International in its private equity investment in Grupo Acosta Verde, a developer, owner and manager of shopping centers in Mexico.
- Represented a UK private equity firm in its US private equity investment in a company operating in the tourism industry.
- Represented an Asia based private equity firm in an investment in US real estate assets.
- Represented Empresas ICA, S.A.B. de C.V., Mexico's largest infrastructure, in the acquisition of the Facchina Construction Group.
- Represented an international power developer in the acquisition of a development-stage LNG-to-power project in Latin America.
- Represented Caesars Entertainment Corporation in its pending acquisition of Centaur Holdings, LLC, the owner of Hoosier Park Racing and Casino in Anderson, Indiana, and the Indiana Grand Racing and Casino in Shelbyville, Indiana.
- Represented Isle of Capri Casinos, Inc. in several transactions, including its acquisition of the Rainbow Casino in Vicksburg, Mississippi from Bally Technologies, Inc., the disposition of its Rhythm City Casino in Davenport, Iowa and the sale of its Marquette, Iowa, casino property to an affiliate of Casino Queen.
- Represented Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, a global manufacturer of pet care products, in its acquisition of Waggin' Train Holdings LLC and related companies.
- Represented George Weston Limited, a Canadian public company, which through its operating subsidiaries is one of North America's largest food processing and distribution groups, in the sale of the United States fresh bread and baked goods business of its subsidiary Dunedin Holdings S.à r.l. to Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V. for approximately $2.5 billion. Grupo Bimbo is one of the world's largest baking companies and is listed on the Mexican Stock Exchange.
- Represented an Asian-based global trading company in various US investments, including in agriculture, food and specialty chemicals.
- Represented Dobson Communications Corporation, a provider of rural and suburban wireless communications services under the Cellular One brand, in the sale of the company to AT&T Inc. for approximately $2.8 billion.
- Represented Atkore International, Inc. in several transactions, including the acquisition of Calpipe Industries, LLC., a market leader for electrical conduit systems for corrosive environments and security bollards for high security, access control and architectural environments, the acquisition of FlexHead Industries, Inc., SprinkFLEX, LLC and related entities engaged in the business of manufacturing and selling flexible sprinkler hose fittings, the acquisition of assets of the Heritage Group of companies, a leading U.S. manufacturer of PVC conduit, fittings, elbows, as well as plumbing pipe products, and the assets of Steel Components Inc., a leading designer and manufacturer of steel and malleable iron electrical fittings for steel, flexible and liquid tight conduit, as well as armored cable.
- Represented the holding company of Allied Specialty Insurance, Inc. and T.H.E. Insurance Company, a leading insurer of the outdoor entertainment industry in the U.S., to a subsidiary of X.L. Group plc.
- Represented Xe Services LLC in the sale of Aviation Worldwide Services, a leading provider of expeditionary airlift services and aircraft modifications to the U.S. and other government customers, to AAR Corp. for approximately $200 million, and the subsequent sale of Xe's domestic and international training and security services business focused on worldwide diplomatic security operations to USTC Holdings, LLC, an investor consortium led by private equity firms, Forté Capital Advisors and Manhattan Partners.
- Represented an investment advisory firm in the pending acquisition of a real estate investment advisor.
- Represented Hewitt Associates, a global human resources services company, in the acquisition of LCG Holdings, LLC and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Disability Management Alternatives, LLC, a leading provider of employee absence management, and Ennis, Knupp & Associates, Inc., a leading global investment advisory firm.
- Represented Stampede Meat, Inc., a national supplier of value-added beef products, in connection with the sale of the company to an investor group led by Fairmont Capital, Inc., a California based private equity firm.
- Represented Aliaxis SA in connection with its tender offer for 100% of the outstanding shares of Durman Esquivel, a publicly traded Costa Rican company, and its related joint venture with the majority owner of Durman Esquivel with respect to their respective businesses located in Central America, South America and the Caribbean.
- Represented Coast Asset Management, LLC, an alternative investment manager serving institutional and high net worth investors, in connection with an investment by Summit Partners, a leading private equity and venture capital firm.
- Represented a global specialty pharmaceutical and medication delivery company in the acquisition of a developer of non-invasive medical devices.
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, JD, cum laude
Executive Editor, University of Detroit Law Review
Oakland University, BSE, Mechanical Engineering
- Fellow, Emerging Leaders Class of 2016, Chicago Council on Global Affairs (2015-16)
- Member, Dean's Advisory Board, University of Detroit School of Law (2005-17)
- Business Law Section of the American Bar Association
- ABA Committee on Mergers and Acquisitions
- ABA Committee on Venture Capital and Private Equity
- Member, President’s Club of the Chicago Council on Global Affairs