Pensions, Employment & Benefits, Pension De-Risking & Longevity Solutions
Richard Evans acts for trustees and sponsors on the full range of pensions issues, including compliance, scheme documentation, investment, dispute resolution and winding-up. He is adviser to many household-name schemes, including several with assets in excess of £1bn.
Richard is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers and a Fellow of the Pensions Management Institute. He regularly writes and speaks on pensions matters. He authored the pensions section of The Encyclopedia of Employment Law, and is a member of LexisPSL's Pensions Consulting Editorial Board.
Scheme funding and contingent assets
Richard advises trustees and sponsors on funding negotiations and associated dealings with the Pensions Regulator. He acted for the trustees of a FTSE100 scheme in putting in place one of the UK's first asset-backed contribution arrangements with a value of £200m. He has advised on the full range of contingent assets, from parent company guarantees to a £500m escrow arrangement.
Buy-ins, buy-outs and liability management
Richard has extensive experience of de-risking projects. He has advised trustees on some 30 buy-ins and buy-outs – for example a series of deals enabling a major scheme to secure liabilities for its entire membership (total value £1bn). He has acted on the winding-up of many DB schemes including the UK arrangement of a major international bank, advising on buy-out terms, trustee protection and refunds of surplus. Richard is a key member of the Firm's Pensions Risk Transfer Group, a cross-practice team which provides a joined-up service for trustees who wish to de-risk.
- Recommended and listed as a key lawyer for Pensions Legal 500
- Richard Evans is noted for his experience of a wide array of pension issues, including funding, structure and implementation matters. Chambers UK
- Listed as a Leading individual, Richard Evans is noted for his experience of a wide array of pension issues, including funding, structure and implementation matters. A client reports: "He assesses complex issues very quickly and comes back with really clear opinions and advice." Chambers UK
- According to clients Richard Evans is "very good, very responsive and his service is outstanding." He is recognised for his guidance on a range of issues facing pensions schemes such as funding and liability management. Chambers UK
- The College of Law, Chester
- University of Oxford, Brasenose College
- England and Wales
Professional & Community Involvement
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- Fellow, Pensions Management Institute
- Pensions Consulting Editorial Board, LexisPSL