Omar El-Khattabi is an associate in Mayer Brown’s Corporate & Securities practice based in Washington DC and Dubai. He advises domestic and international clients on local and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, corporate restructurings and general corporate and commercial matters.
Omar is an active member of the firm's Middle East practice and the International Joint Venture & Strategic Alliance practice, and has played a key role in the opening of the firm's office in Dubai. Prior to joining the firm, Omar was an associate in an international law firm's Washington DC office.
Omar has worked in our Hong Kong and London offices and completed a six-month secondment with the mergers and acquisitions team at Nestlé.
Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), Master Level II
- Jessup International Law Moot Court (regional finalist, recipient of top speaker award and top written memorial award)
University of Virginia School of Law, JD
- Jessup International Law Moot Court, Captain of Regional Championship Team, Recipient of Written Memorial Award
- Virginia Journal of International Law, Virginia Journal of Law and Technology
- Virginia Journal of Law and Technology
Vanderbilt University, BA, in History and EconomicsAdmissions
District of Columbia
US and Cross-Border Experience
- Advising a major US defense company with respect to a significant transaction in a North African country.
- Advised Pampa Capital and its private equity funds, Pampa Agribusiness Fund L.P. and Pampa Agribusiness Follow-on Fund II L.P., on the sale to John Deere of PLA, an agro-machinery business and producer of sprayers, planters and specialty agriculture products in Argentina and Brazil. The transaction involved the direct and indirect sale of Pampa’s equity stakes in holding and portfolio companies in the Netherlands, Spain, Argentina and Brazil, as well as antitrust approvals in Argentina and Brazil.
- Advised on the internal reorganization of a major London-based technology commercialization and investment company.
- Advising the United Nations Security Council on data privacy and digital evidence matters.
- Advised Nestlé USA on its agreement to sell its US confectionary business to The Ferrero Group, a global confectionary group, for $2.8 billion.
- Advised Nestlé S.A. on its agreement to acquire privately-held Atrium Innovations, a Montreal-based global leader in nutritional health products, from a group of investors for $2.3 billion.
- Represented SYSTRA SA, an international engineering and consulting firm, on its acquisition of International Bridge Technologies, Inc., a California-based civil engineering firm specializing in bridge construction.
- Advised private equity fund LBO France on the corporate aspects of the sale of Chryso Group, a leading chemical specialist for concrete and construction, to Cinven, a London-based private equity firm.
- Advised Shiseido Americas Corporation, a Japanese multinational cosmetics manufacturer and distributor, on the corporate implementation of an internal tax-based restructuring.
- Advised a Moroccan investment company on its acquisition of a majority equity stake in a Florida-based olive oil producer and distributor on a cash and debt basis.
- Advised Reignwood Investments UK Ltd., a Chinese-based conglomerate, on its US$105 million acquisition of a majority equity stake in Voss of Norway ASA, a Norwegian artesian bottled water company.
- Advised a multinational private equity firm with offices in New York, Bogota and Lima on its $50 million investment in the Delaware investment arm of a private operator of wireless communications infrastructure with subsidiaries in Barbados, Colombia, Peru and Spain.
- Advised on corporate and commercial issues relating to a tax-based internal restructuring of a major publicly-listed US retail company.
- Advised a major Texas-based mortgage originator and service provider on its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a regional mortgage company.
- Represented Underwriters Laboratories in a joint venture with GCC Laboratories to create the largest renewable energy testing laboratory in the Middle East/GCC region.
- Advised Leemar Investments FZE, a UAE-based investment company managed by the Director General of the Office of H. H. The Crown Prince of Dubai, on the acquisition of a 50% equity stake in each of Go Fast Sports & Beverage Company, a US manufacturer of energy drinks, and Go Fast Gum Company, a US manufacturer of energy chewing gum.
- Advised a leading Abu Dhabi-based integrated technology solutions company on the acquisition of the exclusive licensee of Vodafone in Egypt.
- Advised Securitas UAE LLC, a Dubai-based security company, on the creation of the largest fire and safety training company in the UAE under a special license from the Dubai Civil Defense (DCD) in the context of a strategic alliance with the DCD.
- Advising a publicly-listed multinational filtration manufacturer and distributor on corporate and commercial matters in the Middle East and across various other jurisdictions.
- Advised a major Italian luxury fashion house on various compliance issues in the UAE and Qatar.
- Advised an Abu Dhabi-based management, logistics and operations consultant on a US$80 million capital injection by a key Qatari shareholder.
- Advised a Dubai-based investor group on the acquisition of a €355 million resort in the south of Spain.
- Advised an export credit agency as lender in a limited recourse project financing for the construction of a US$100 million hotel in Baghdad.
- Assisted the US Department of Commerce’s Commercial Law Development Program with a guidebook on investing in power projects in Iraq.
- Advised a leading multinational management consulting firm on corporate and employment compliance across the Middle East.
- Advised a multinational engineering and consulting group specializing in rail and public transport on the indirect acquisition of a civil engineering firm in Dubai.
Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), Master Level II,
Jessup International Law Moot Court (regional finalist, recipient of top speaker award and top written memorial award)
University of Virginia School of Law, JD,
Jessup International Law Moot Court, Captain of Regional Championship Team, Recipient of Written Memorial Award.
Virginia Journal of International Law, Virginia Journal of Law and Technology
Virginia Journal of Law and Technology
Vanderbilt University, BA, History and Economics
- District of Columbia
- Dubai (DIFC)
- New York