"[S]pots problems, finds solutions and gets the deal moved across the table."Chambers USA, 2014
David Duffee is a finance partner in Mayer Brown’s New York office. He previously served as the leader of the firm’s New York Banking & Finance practice. He advises financial institutions and borrowers in lending transactions – both for US-based borrowers and in cross-border financings. A significant part of David’s practice focuses on Latin American lending. According to Chambers Latin America 2015, David is "[a] popular choice for syndicated bank financing."
Acquisition financings comprise a large part of David’s practice. He also works on lending transactions with insurance company borrowers. He has extensive experience with work-outs, debtor-in-possession financings and other distressed situations.
- Advised Natixis and BNP Paribas on the refinancing of Data4.
- Represented YUM! Brands, Inc., and its subsidiaries Taco Bell of America, KFC Holding Co. and Pizza Hut Holdings, in their $3.5 billion senior secured credit facilities.
- Represented Whirlpool Corporation in its $2.5 billion senior revolving credit facility.
- Represented the arrangers of a $200 million senior secured credit facility for a leading supplier to the recreational vehicle and manufactured homes industries.
- Advised the arranger of a syndicated credit facility to finance a real estate development in Costa Rica.
- Represented the arrangers of the financing for the US$840 million acquisition by Colombia’s Celsia S.A. of Central American energy assets of French-based GDF Suez.
- Represented an international bank in a US$150 million reserve-based lending facility for a Brazilian oil and gas producing and operating company.
- Represented an international bank in connection with a US$300 million financing for Mexican rail company.
- Represented an international bank in connection with a US$115 million financing for the owner and operator of open-pit copper mines in Arizona.
- Represented a global home appliance manufacturer in connection with its US$3 billion multicurrency credit facility.
- Advised the arrangers of a US$ 200 million financing for a Colombian oil and gas exploration company.
- Represented an international bank in providing a US$138 million margin financing for one of the world’s largest private investment firms.
- Represented the arrangers of a US$275 million financing for the acquisition of four drilling rigs to be used in the Gulf of Mexico and chartered to Petróleos Mexicanos.
- Represented an international bank as the arranger of a US$100 million syndicated credit facility for a U.S. chocolate candy manufacturer.
- Represented an international bank as the arranger of acquisition financings aggregating US$100 million for PhotoMedex, Inc.
- Advised the arrangers of the US$1.8 billion financing for Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde S.A.A. to be used to finance a portion of the cost of the US$4.6 billion expansion of the Cerro Verde copper and molybdenum mining complex in Peru.
- Advised the arrangers of a US$190 million syndicated credit facility (denominated in US dollars, Colombian pesos and Mexican pesos) for a multi-national packaging manufacturer.
- Represented an international bank in connection with the financing of the US$400 acquisition of Nextel del Perú S.A by the Chilean telecommunications company, Empresa Telecomunicaciones S.A. (Entel).
- Represented an international bank in connection with a US$1 billion credit facility for a Brazilian energy company.
Columbia Law School, JD
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Head Casenote and Comment Editor, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law
St. Olaf College, BA, magna cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa; National Merit Scholar
- New York
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York