At the associate level, Leandro Duarte Alves is recommended for the negotiation of upstream and downstream contractsThe Legal 500, 2023
Leandro Duarte Alves is an associate of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown based at the Rio de Janeiro office. He focuses his practice on advising domestic and foreign oil and gas companies in Brazil and Africa. Over the years, he has been engaged in the analysis, review, and negotiation of upstream and downstream contracts, including concession contracts, production sharing agreements, and general service contracts. His work includes arbitrations and transactions (acquisition and divestitures). He also advises oil and gas companies on complex regulatory issues before national petroleum agencies.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in its Rio de Janeiro office in 2017, Leandro worked at a large Brazilian law firm where he developed his skills regarding corporate law. Leandro holds an LLM from the University of Texas School of Law and a LLB (JD equivalent) from Rio de Janeiro State University School of Law (UERJ).
- Represented Maersk Oil in the sale of its Brazilian assets to Total S.A. in the context of a global deal worth more than USD7 billion.
- Represented Rolls-Royce in the sale of its Brazilian gas turbine business to Siemens in a worldwide transaction of £785 million.
- Represented Barra Energia do Brasil Petróleo e Gás Ltda. in the sale of a 10% participating interest in Block BMS-8 (Carcará) to Equinor (formerly Statoil).
- Represented Barra Energia do Brasil Petróleo e Gás Ltda. in a LCIA/UNCITRAL arbitration seated in Paris initiated by Dommo Energia S.A. (formerly OGX). The dispute arose from the performance of a joint operating agreement for the exploration, development, and operation of an oilfield located in the Santos Basin offshore Brazil. Brazilian law applied and English was the language of the proceedings.
- Assisted a major oil company in drafting the Angolan Presidential Legislative Decree concerning amendments to concessions with marginal discoveries.
- Assisted a super major oil company in drafting an agreement to be negotiated with the Angolan National Oil Company regarding a block in Cabinda Angola.
- Advised a UK company on customs duties and charges on the importation of fuel in Angola.
- Represented Parnaíba Gás Natural S.A. in the acquisition of 100% participating interest from Petrobras (Brazilian National Oil Company) in the Azulão field onshore Brazil.
- Represented the Malaysian National Oil Company in connection with the registrations and qualification processes for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Pre-Salt Bid Rounds and for the 14th and 15th Concession Bid Rounds organized by the Brazilian Petroleum Agency (ANP).
- Assisted a Brazilian oil company in drafting a joint study agreement in the context of the 14th Concession Bid Round organized by the Brazilian Petroleum Agency (ANP).
- Represented China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) in the negotiation of the lifting agreement related to the operations in Libra area (oil field offshore Brazil), which was granted under the first production sharing agreement in Brazil.
- Assisted a German company in the acquisition of participating interests in onshore blocks (mainly gas) located in Parnaiba Basin Brazil.
- Assisted Maersk Oil Brasil in a local content audit conducted by the Brazilian Petroleum Agency (ANP) regarding the concession in block BM-S-29 offshore Brazil.
- Assisted an American seismic company in all phases of a large project in the Solimões Basin onshore Brazil.
- Assisted a Portuguese oil company in a M&A transaction in Potiguar Basin Brazil.
- Assistance to Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries (IHI) in the acquisition of shares of Estaleiro Atlântico Sul (Brazilian shipyard), which managed contracts to build tankers and drilling rigs for the Brazilian Oil & Gas industry.
- Assistance to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in the acquisition of shares of Estaleiro Rio Grande (Brazilian shipyard).
- Advised one of the biggest Japanese companies in the due diligence and SPA markup for the potential acquisition of Petrobras participating interests in the Maromba and Papa Terra oil fields.
- Assisted a major Brazilian bank in the draft and negotiation of a contract for the performance of seismic data collection research.
- Assisted an American drilling company in the analysis of regulatory issues regarding research and development (R&D) in Brazil.
- Dissolution of an Argentinean subsidiary of a super major Brazilian oil company.
- Represented a Swedish company in the analysis of compliance issues related to its Brazilian subsidiary in the oil and gas industry.
- Developed complex anti-bribery and anti-fraud policies and assisted clients with the implementation of these policies in their compliance departments.
- Performed several corporate investigations on fraud, cartels, and bribery.
The University of Texas School of Law, LLM
University of Houston Law Center, Visiting Researcher
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, LLB, (JD Equivalent)
Georgia State University College of Law, Foreign Student
- Not admitted in Texas. Practicing under the supervision of firm principals.
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation