Seb Cunningham is a senior associate in the London office of Mayer Brown's Construction & Engineering group with a focus on the drafting and negotiation of construction and engineering contracts. His experience includes drafting and advising on aspects of domestic and international construction contracts including standard forms such as JCT, NEC3, PPC2000 and FIDIC. He acts for employers, contractors, sub-contractors and consultants engaged in construction and engineering projects.
Seb is also a member of Mayer Brown's Public Procurement group in London and has previously assisted the mining team on a $150m tender process for a cement production facility in Afghanistan.
He also has experience of contentious construction matters. This includes a range of dispute resolution—advising employers, contractors and tenants in relation to disputes concerning defective works, delays and valuation.
Seb joined Mayer Brown in 2010 as a trainee and during his training contact, spent six months on secondment to Mayer Brown in Hong Kong working in the ship finance team. From July 2017, Seb spent six months on secondment at one of the world's leading diesel and alternative fuel engine designers/manufacturers. During this period Seb was responsible for drafting and negotiating various supply and purchase agreements with both suppliers and customers of the business.
- Assisting in advising an EPC Contractor engaged under FIDIC Yellow Book terms on a complex re-structuring on the contract arrangements including the novation of another EPC contract to bring that within the EPC Contractor's scope, in connection with the development of a major automated port facility development in Mexico.
- Assisting on drafting of project contracts for a major petrochemicals complex in Egypt, for a Naptha Cracking Unit plus Polyethylene trains, based on bespoke contract forms with total costs estimated at US$4.8 billion.
- Assisted on a project advising the Government of Afghanistan on the development of a legislative and regulatory framework as well as on the implementation of a tender process for the country's mining industry.
- Drafting and negotiating a suite of bespoke framework construction contracts for a large London developer embarking upon a staged five year development plan for a central London redevelopment.
- Advising a five-star London hotelier on multiple extension of time and loss and expense claims from a fit-out contractor under a JCT Design & Build Contract.
- Advising major UK developer in relation to two 50 storey plus residential towers in the UK.
- Advising the contractor on the Nottingham Express Transit Phase 2 PFI Tender, a £600million extension of an existing tramway.
- Advising a hotelier on the drafting and negotiation of a bespoke JCT contract for refurbishment works at a London West End hotel.
- Represented a national multi-utility company in negotiating and drafting a bespoke framework agreement with various contractors as part of a new nationwide tender exercise.
Nottingham Trent University, LPC
Warwick University , LLB
- England and Wales