Joe Kamho Choy is a senior associate in the Hong Kong office of Mayer Brown's Employment & Benefits practice. He advises on all aspect of employment-related issues, including recruitment; structuring of employment relationship; variation of employment terms and benefits; termination of employment; enforceability of non-compete clauses; personal data issues; disciplinary matters; and labour relations. He also handles employment disputes and has experience in conducting proceedings at all levels of the courts of Hong Kong.
Joe speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Conducted and coordinated a regional review of employment-related documentation for a global investment firm (including offer letter, confidentiality and restrictive covenants agreement, separation letter, incentive schemes and employee manual).
- Acted for a major bank in Hong Kong in defending a claim for wrongful dismissal brought by a senior private banker in the Labour Tribunal.
- Acted for a global investment bank headquartered in Europe in defending a claim for wrongful dismissal brought by a senior manager in the High Court.
- Advised a UK-based startup on structuring the arrangement with thousands of workers and on other HR-related issues.
- Advised a global financial investment management company on its acquisition of retirement schemes businesses in Hong Kong.
- Advised a multi-national, multi disciplined commercial group on retirement scheme issues arising from its disposal of a subsidiary.
- Advised a statutory body in a complaint for disability discrimination lodged by a former employee with the Equal Opportunities Commission.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- Hong Kong
- Honorary Legal Advisor, the Hong Kong CPPCC Youth Association (2017 - Present)
- Vice Chairman, Professionals Committee, the Hong Kong CPPCC Youth Association (2015 - Present)
- Committee Member, Youth Committee, the Hong Kong Overseas Chinese General Association (2016 - Present)
- Vice President, the Longgang Youth Overseas Chinese Chamber of Commerce (2013 - Present)