"Venna Cheng is 'very quick and sharp', earning praise for her top-tier handling of construction disputes and vast know-how in drafting construction contracts."Who’s Who Legal: Construction (2020)
Venna Cheng is a partner of Mayer Brown. She is also an accredited mediator.
Venna is experienced in litigation, arbitration and mediation of construction disputes and the drafting of consultancy and construction contracts for building and infrastructure projects. She provides general advice on building, engineering and environmental matters. She also advises on public procurement and tendering issues under the World Trade Organisation's Agreement on Government Procurement. She acts for Government departments, property developers, contractors, insurers and overseas companies.
Venna was named “Future Leaders” in Construction by Who’s Who Legal (2019, 2020) and “Rising Star in Litigation” by Asia Women in Business Law Awards (2017). She speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Contract Drafting & Tendering Matters
- Advising statutory entities on tendering issues and issues under the WTO Government Procurement Agreement (WTO GPA) and acted for a statutory authority in bid challenges brought by unsuccessful tenderers before the Review Body on Bid Challenges in Hong Kong established under the WTO GPA.
- Advising a tertiary institution on draft tender and contract documentation for the construction of a complex campus and hostel project and the associated utility diversion work. Devised a mechanism in the tender documentation to cater for delay in obtaining funding approval due to filibustering or other reasons.
- Advised a statutory authority on the tender and contract documentation for the design and construction of the new hospital in Kai Tak. Devised a mechanism in the tender documentation to cater for delay in obtaining funding approval due to filibustering or other reasons.
- Advised a statutory authority on the tender and contract documentation for the design and construction of a new hotel near the proposed third run-way.
- Advised a statutory authority on the tender and contract documentation for the design and construction of the SkyCity Airport retail, dining and entertainment complex.
- Prepared a consortium agreement for contractors of a major infrastructure project in Hong Kong.
- Reviewed the standard form tender and construction documentation for a blue chip developer in Hong Kong and advised on the effect of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Ordinance.
- Advised on a tender documentation for external wall repair works at a residential building at Old Peak Road.
- Advised on a standard form project management agreement and architectural and E&M consultancy agreement for a commercial development in Central.
- Advised on a design architect consultancy agreement for a luxury residential development on Stubbs Road.
- Advised on a contract documentation for stabilization works at a residential development in Clearwater Bay.
- Acted for the incorporated owners of various residential buildings in the drafting of tender and contract documentation for building renovation works.
- Advised on the drafting of guarantees and performance bonds in major construction projects in Hong Kong and Macau.
- Advised various public and private developers on procurement models and drafting of tender and contract documentation for public and private developments in Kai Tak.
Contentious Construction Matters
- Acting for a contractor in an international arbitration against a developer of a residential project in Macau involving claims for extensions of time, loss and expense, liquidated damages, defect rectification costs and other final account disputes. Successfully resisted a challenge against the arbitral award brought by the developer in the High Court of Hong Kong.
- Acting for a tertiary institution in a claim against a contractor for painting works at its main campus.
- Acted for the Hong Kong SAR Government in various arbitrations involving disputes on measurement of works, valuation of variations, extension of time and loss and expense claims, missing items in Bills of Quantities and other differences in the final account arising from various infrastructure projects.
- Acted for Statutory Authorities in various arbitration proceedings involving claims for extensions of time, loss and expense and final account disputes arising from building and infrastructure works projects.
- Acted for The Hong Kong Housing Authority in a High Court proceedings against a piling contractor in relation to defective foundations at Tin Shui Wai and conduct of ancillary proceedings against overseas insurers.
- Acted for Hong Kong Construction Limited in High Court proceedings concerning final account disputes in relation to road and drainage works of the Tolo Highway widening project and represented the client in appeal proceedings against costs orders.
- Acted for a German drilling contractor in a High Court Action regarding drilling equipment and delay to completion and successfully set aside the claim on ground of forum non conveniens.
- Advised a major developer on building and construction issues arising from a fire broke out in an industrial building.
- Acted for a developer of a luxurious residential development on Stubbs Road in a mediation of disputes including claims for extension of time, delay in completion, variations, loss and expense and termination and re-nomination of sub-contractor.
- Acted for an equipment supplier in a coroner inquest, arbitration and successful mediation of prolongation and other damages claims arising from fatal accident at construction site of the Stonecutters Bridge.
- Acted for a concrete supplier in relation to disputes arising from sale and purchase of concrete.
- Advised insurers on liability of a main contractor for third party damage caused by drainage works.
- Acted for utility companies in litigation proceedings involving claims for recovery of damage to underground and submarine pipeline and cables.
- Advised a major developer on slope stabilisation works.
- Advised on illegal building works and appeal against demolition orders and notices.
- Advised utility companies, consultants and contractors on site safety issues.
- Assisted with advising a major utility company in Hong Kong on a fatal accident arising from gas explosion and assisted with the conduct of a death inquest.
- Advised on and defended various Labour Department's prosecutions in relation to accidents at construction sites.
- Advised a French engineering firm on the commencement of an ICC arbitration against an Egyptian petrochemical company.
- Acted for an English contractor against a major developer in the United Kingdom in an adjudication of construction disputes involving extension of time claims.
Public Inquiries and Other Dispute Resolution Matters
- Acting for MTR Corporation Limited in the Commission of Inquiry into the Construction Works at and near the Hung Hom Station Extension under the Shatin to Central Link Project.
- Acted for Shui On Building Contractors Limited in the Commission of Inquiry into Excessive Lead in Drinking Water.
- Acted for a distributor of Pepsi Cola against a supplier of refined sugar in a successful arbitration seated in London under the Arbitration Rules of the Refined Sugar Association.
- Concluded a successful mediation for a hotel developer in relation to claims for defective bed linen.
- Acted for a tunnel company in an arbitration over a tunnel management agreement.
- Acted for a utility company on claims arising from the tampering of electric meters.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Approved Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association
- Accredited Mediator, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre & The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member, Society of Construction Law Hong Kong
- Member, the Lighthouse Club Hong Kong
- Secretary to Council, Society of Construction Law Hong Kong (2015-2019)
- Judge of the International ADR Mooting Competition jointly organised by the City University of Hong Kong, CIETAC and Columbia Law School (2010-2014)
- Assessor of the mediation assessment of the PCLL course of the University of Hong Kong (2010)
- Future Leaders – Partner, Hong Kong – Who’s Who Legal: Construction (2019, 2020)
- Rising Star in Litigation – Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Awards (2017)
- “Venna Cheng is 'very quick and sharp', earning praise for her top-tier handling of construction disputes and vast know-how in drafting construction contracts.“ - Who’s Who Legal: Construction (2020)