Venna Cheng is a partner of Mayer Brown. She is also an accredited mediator.
Venna has extensive experience in litigation, arbitration and mediation of construction disputes and the drafting of consultancy and construction contracts for building and infrastructure projects. She also provides general advice on building, engineering and environmental matters. She acts for Government departments, property developers, contractors, insurers and overseas companies. Venna speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Acting for a contractor in an international arbitration against a developer of a residential project in Macau involving disputes on claims for extensions of time, loss and expense, liquidated damages, defect rectification costs and other final account disputes.
- Advising various public and private developers on procurement models and drafting of tender and contract documentation for public and private developments in Kai Tak.
- Acting for a statutory organisation on disputes arising from infrastructure works projects.
- Advising a major developer on building and construction issues arising from a fire which took place in an industrial building.
- Acting for one of the main contractors in the Commission of Inquiry into Excessive Lead in Drinking Water.
- Acted for Hong Kong Construction Limited in High Court proceedings concerning final account disputes in relation to road and drainage works of the Tolo Highway widening project and representing the client in appeal proceedings against costs orders.
- Acted for The Hong Kong Housing Authority in a claim against a piling contractor in relation to defective foundations at Tin Shui Wai and conduct of ancillary proceedings against overseas insurers.
- Acted for The Hong Kong Housing Authority in arbitration proceedings against contractors on various projects.
- Acted for the Hong Kong Government in arbitration proceedings involving claims for extension of time, loss and expense and final account disputes.
- Acted for a developer of a luxurious residential development on Stubbs Road in a mediation of disputes including claims for extension of time, delay in completion, variations, loss and expense and termination and re-nomination of sub-contractor.
- Concluded a successful mediation for a hotel developer in relation to claims for defective bed linen.
- Acted for an equipment supplier in a coroner inquest, arbitration and successful mediation of damages claim arising from fatal accident at construction site of the Stonecutters Bridge.
- Acted for a German drilling contractor in a litigation regarding drilling equipment and delay to completion and successfully set aside the claim on ground of forum non conveniens.
- Acted for a tunnel company in relation to an arbitration over a tunnel management agreement.
- Acted for a concrete supplier in relation to disputes arising from sale and purchase of concrete.
- Advised insurers on liability of a main contractor for third party damage caused by drainage works.
- Acted for major developers, casino operators and airway company in Hong Kong and Macau in the drafting of construction and consultancy agreements.
- Acted for utility companies in litigation and arbitration proceedings involving claims for recovery of damage to underground and submarine pipeline and cables.
- Advised a major developer on slope stabilisation works.
- Advised on illegal building works and appeal against demolition orders and notices.
- Advised statutory entities on tendering issues and issues under the WTO Government Procurement Agreement.
- Advised utility companies, consultants and contractors on site safety issues.
- Advised on and conduct of a death inquest for a major utility company in Hong Kong in relation to a fatal accident arising from gas explosion.
- Advised on and defended various Labour Department's prosecutions in relation to fatal accidents at construction sites.
- Acted for Hongkong Electric in cable damage claims and claims arising from the tempering of electric meters.
- Advised a French engineering firm on the commencement of an ICC arbitration against an Egyptian petrochemical company.
- Acted for a distributor of Pepsi Cola against a supplier of refined sugar in a successful arbitration seated in London under the Arbitration Rules of the Refined Sugar Association.
- Acted for an English contractor against a major developer in the United Kingdom in an adjudication of construction disputes.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Approved Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association
- Accredited Mediator, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre & The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Secretary to Council, Society of Construction Law Hong Kong
- Council Member, Society of Construction Law Hong Kong
- Member, the Lighthouse Club Hong Kong
- Judge of the International ADR Mooting Competition jointly organised by the City University of Hong Kong, CIETAC and Columbia Law School, 2010 to 2014
- Assessor of the mediation assessment of the PCLL course of the University of Hong Kong, 2010
- Rising Star in Litigation – Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Awards (2017)