"an excellent practitioner with a good reputation in the community."Chambers High Net Worth 2017
Richard Campbell is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office and leads the Private Clients, Trusts & Estates practice. He focuses on estate planning for high net worth clients, probate and trust administration law, and contested estate and trust matters. He also emphasizes representation of not-for-profit organizations and private foundations, and represents closely held businesses. Richard has advised clients on sophisticated estate tax planning techniques, including GRATs, QPRTs, family limited partnerships, sales to defective grantor trusts, generation-skipping tax and dynasty trust planning, charitable remainder and lead trusts, and insurance trusts. In addition, he drafts buy-sell agreements, shareholders agreements, and premarital agreements. He also provides estate planning for non-US citizens and trusts, and handles international estate planning. When necessary, Richard has represented clients in estate and gift tax disputes with the Internal Revenue Service.
Richard is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. According to Chambers High Net Worth he is "'an excellent practitioner with a good reputation in the community.’ He heads up the Mayer Brown LLP wealth management practice, and handles estate, lifetime and philanthropic planning. 'I think he's an outstanding lawyer,' enthuses a Chicago attorney. 'He's able to relate to people without any sense of pretension, and he has superb technical expertise and a lot of experience. He's very good at explaining complicated tax and planning concepts in a very straightforward and relatable way. He's a guy you want to work with on projects, he's a very collaborative gentleman.'" His professional honors include recognition as a trailblazer by The National Law Journal, listing in The Best Lawyers in America for estate planning, selection as one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in the state of Illinois, and selection as one of the top 5 percent of lawyers in Illinois for estate planning by the Leading Lawyers of America Network. Richard formerly was an adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent Law School, where he taught a class in estate and gift taxes as part of the LLM graduate tax program. He became a member of Mayer Brown in 2003 after previously practicing with other national law firms
Richard is a frequent lecturer to estate planning professionals and to the general public on estate planning matters, estate administration, contested estate matters, and ownership succession issues. He has presented to the RMS McGladrey National Tax Conference, the Chicago-Kent Federal Tax Institute, the American Bankers Association, the American College of Surgeons, the Illinois State Bar Association, the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the Chicago Bar Association, and the Chicago Estate Planning Council.
- Represents a major Chicago-based family owned company in a significant corporate / business succession plan.
- Represents major Chicago banks in trust construction / reformation cases.
- Represents the largest national poetry organization.
- Represented guardian ad litem of minor children of a prominent Chicago business family in a multi-billion dollar trust conversion case.
University of Illinois College of Law, JDEditor, University of Illinois Law Review
University of Illinois, BS, Mathematics, summa cum laudePhi Beta Kappa; Bronze Tablet
- Illinois State Bar Association (Past President, Trust and Estate Section Council)
- The Chicago Community Trust, Professional Advisory Committee
- South Suburban Estate Planning Council (Past President)
- Chicago-Kent Federal Tax Institute Advisory Board
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Chicago Estate Planning Council
- Prairie State Community College Foundation
- Orland Youth Association Volunteer