Laura Buchanan is an associate in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office and a member of the Technology & IP Transactions practice focusing on complex transactions relating to digital services and information technology sourcing, including software licenses, SaaS, IT services, maintenance and support and joint development agreements. Additionally, she counsels clients on data privacy and security issues, including as they relate to commercial agreements and compliance matters.
In addition to her practice, Laura is highly involved in Chicago’s startup community. She was previously a contributing writer to a Chicago startups newsletter, featuring early-stage Chicago startup companies and upcoming community events. As part of her experience advising startup founders, she served on a panel of judges reviewing and critiquing funding pitches.
IT and Business Process Outsourcing
- Represented a large retailer in negotiating its $1.6 billion IT infrastructure outsourcing transaction.
- Represented a fast-food conglomerate in outsourcing cloud-based telecommunication and collaboration services for its portfolio companies and franchisees.
- Represented a construction equipment manufacturer in outsourcing finance and accounting services.
- Represented a large retailer in outsourcing merchandising, marketing and procurement processes.
- Represented a global bank in outsourcing facilities management and brokerage services.
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, JD, cum laude
Miami University, BA
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Junior Board Member, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services
- IP Law Committee Chair, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- Member, Chicago Women in IP