Fern Bomchill is a prominent litigator, mediator, and counselor whose practice deals with a broad spectrum of corporate, commercial, and financial matters. Since joining Mayer Brown in 1972, Fern has built a well-earned reputation as a skilled, knowledgeable trial lawyer and courtroom manager, and a proficient, well-informed mediator who masters case detail and achieves realistic, equitable, and timely solutions. In addition, she provides effective coordination and consultation regarding a wide variety of corporate concerns, including liability and exposure, consumer information and protection issues, risk-management strategies and document retention.
Fern’s practice is particularly concentrated on federal and state court litigation and mediation, in which she prosecutes and defends class and individual actions that involve banking, bankruptcy, commercial, consumer protection, contract, product liability, trust, and tort claims. She also lectures and advises on legal ethics and attorney-client privilege, and defends attorneys in court and before regulatory bodies. She has served as the firm's claim counsel since 2002.
Widely recognized for her professional activities, Fern has received numerous special appointments, including:
Special Master, Industrial Gas Antitrust Litigation, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1985–1986
Industrial Gas Claims Administration Committee, 1987–1997
Acting Associate General Counsel, Continental Illinois National Bank and Trust Company of Chicago, 1984–1985
Fern has been recognized as an "Illinois Super Lawyer," a "Top Lawyer in Illinois" and a "Leading Lawyer." She is a past National President of the Federal Bar Association and a past member of the American Bar Association's Standing Committee on Judicial Improvements.
- Obtained defense judgment in sanction action.
- Obtained dismissal of class claims under the FDCPA and other federal and state consumer protection statutes.
- Obtained judgment in breach of contract trial.
- Defeated injunctive relief sought in trademark infringement action.
- Obtained injunctive relief to enforce sale of business.
- Defense of claims in Chapter 11 actions on behalf of debtors’ and creditors’ committees.
- Successful mediation of CERCLA and $400 million contract and toxic tort claims.
- Obtained judgment and affirmance of multimillion dollar lender liability claim.
- Obtained judgment and sanctions award in litigation on 51 secured financing agreements.
- Obtained unprecedented $60 million settlement in fidelity bond litigation.~~
- Obtained full recovery after default of $15 million barge partnership financing.
- Obtained judgments and favorable settlements in various wrongful death and other product liability claims.
- Obtained dismissal and affirmance on appeal of fraud complaint arising out of stock purchase.
The University of Chicago Law School, JD
University of Michigan, BA
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Federal Bar Association, President 2011-2012, National Board of Directors, former Seventh Circuit Vice President, former Chicago Chapter President
- American Bar Association, Litigation and Tort and Insurance Practice Sections
- Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee (Hearing Division)
- Law Club of Chicago
- Legal Club of Chicago
- Lincoln Inn of Court