As a member of both the Intellectual Property and Technology & IP Transactions practices, Ryan T. Babcock has a balanced intellectual property transactional and litigation practice. Clients in the life sciences, health care, technology, digital marketing, and retail & consumer products industries turn to Ryan for assistance with various transactional matters, including M&A, licensing, joint ventures and joint development arrangements, research and development agreements, and other counseling matters. Ryan also assists life sciences clients in complex patent litigation matters related to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, both in U.S. federal courts and before the USPTO.
In addition to his transactional and litigation experience, Ryan also has extensive experience advising life sciences clients in due diligence matters, such as conducting patent and exclusivity due diligence relating to acquisitions or collaborations. Ryan also has experience managing global patent prosecution dockets for life sciences companies.
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals in district court patent infringement action relating to ULTOMIRIS® and a patent claiming methods of use for antibodies with specific binding profiles under different pH conditions. (Chugai Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd v. Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc., D. Del).
- Beijing Gingko Group Biological Tech. Co. Ltd. in district court patent infringement action related to processes for producing the dietary supplement tocotrienol. (American River Nutrition, LLC v. Beijing Gingko Group Biological Tech. Co., Ltd., et al. C.D. Cal. 2022).
- Chr. Hansen HMO GmbH in district court patent infringement action involving genetically engineered E. coli used to make 2’-FL, a human milk oligosaccharide. (Chr. Hansen HMO GmbH v. Glycosyn LLC, D. Mass).
- Jennewein Biotechnologie GmbH in a case involving genetically engineered E. coli used to make 2’-FL, a human milk oligosaccharide. (Human Milk Oligosaccharides and Methods for Producing the Same, International Trade Commission).
- Gilead in Hatch-Waxman litigation involving Lexiscan®, a stress agent given in preparation for a radiologic (x-ray) examination of blood flow through the heart to test for coronary artery disease. (Astellas US and Gilead Sciences v. Apotex, et al., D. Del.).
- Encova Mutual Insurance Group as IP counsel in the sale of its subsidiary, Encova Life Insurance Company. (May 2023).
- Private equity firm as IP counsel in acquisition of frozen foods company Furlani Foods. (Spring 2023).
- General Motors as IP counsel in acquisition of Israel-based battery software start-up ALGOLiON Ltd. (Spring 2023).
- ArcelorMittal as IP counsel in $36 million Series C investment in Boston Metal, a company focused on developing a platform for decarbonizing primary steelmaking, as well as represent ArcelorMittal in related collaboration and JDA agreements accompanying the Series C investment. (January 2023).
- General Motors as IP counsel in acquisition of an equity investment in Lithium Americas Corp. and collaboration to jointly develop mine in Nevada. (December 2022).
- Live Oak Acquisition Corp. as IP counsel on its business combination with Danimer Scientific, a next generation bioplastics company. (October 2020).
- Nestlé Health Science as IP counsel in its acquisition of Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company developing and commercializing treatments for potentially life-threatening food allergies. (September 2020).
- Nestlé Health Science as IP counsel in its acquisition of Zenpep, a product for people whose pancreases do not provide enough enzymes to properly digest fats, proteins and sugars, as well as Viokace, another pancreatic enzyme preparation. (January 2020).
- Gilead Sciences as IP counsel performing patent and FTO due diligence relating to the potential acquisition and/or collaboration with several biopharmaceutical companies.
- Represented client in Bronx Housing Court relating to wrongful delinquent rent allegation.
- Assisted Ghanian national in process for obtaining asylum on the basis of sexual orientation.
- Assisted Mexican national in process for obtaining U-Visa application.
- Assisted entrepreneurs and small business owners with IP-related issues during Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project workshop.
Villanova University, BS
Fordham University School of Law, JD
- New York
- US Patent and Trademark Office