Alexander Berk is an associate in Mayer Brown's Chicago office and a member of the Restructuring practice. His practice concentrates on representing debtors and debtors-in-possession, sponsors, lenders, lessors, and other parties in interest in US insolvency proceedings, out-of-court restructurings and workouts, enforcement actions, and other distressed situations.
Alex was named a 2021 Rising Star in Business Bankruptcy Law by Illinois Super Lawyers.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Alex worked at a leading Chicago boutique restructuring firm where he focused on representing small to mid-size regional commercial debtors.
Alex’s representative matters include:
- An information processing company in the strategic purchase of equity interests in certain financially distressed financial technology companies and substantially all of the assets of another financially distressed financial technology company through an out-of-court Article 9 foreclosure sale by a secured seller-party.
- School Specialty, Inc., a leading provider of educational products and services to the Pre-K- 12th grade market in the U.S. and Canada, in its successful out-of-court restructuring of more than $300 million of debt and consensual sale of substantially all of its assets to an entity formed by TCW Asset Management Company, LLC, Cerberus Capital Management, and Lantern Capital Partners.
- Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in the pending sale of its preferred equity interest in Hummel Power Station, a 1,124-megawatt natural gas-fired combined-cycle generating facility located in northern Pennsylvania, to an affiliate of a fund managed by LS Power Equity Advisors, LLC, and related transactions involving the sale of Hummel Power Station.
- A real estate holding company with properties located in the Midwest and Southeast United States in connection with multiple 363 sales in the course of its chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
- A Chicago-based publishing company in its chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding.
University of Illinois, BA, magna cum laude
University of Minnesota, JD, cum laude