Alexander Berk is an associate in Mayer Brown's Chicago office and a member of the Restructuring practice. His practice concentrates on representing debtors and debtors-in-possession, sponsors, lenders, lessors, and other parties in interest in US insolvency proceedings, out-of-court restructurings and workouts, enforcement actions, and other distressed situations.
Alex was named a Rising Star in Business Bankruptcy Law by Illinois Super Lawyers in 2021 and 2022.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Alex worked at a leading Chicago boutique restructuring firm where he focused on representing small to mid-size regional commercial debtors.
Alex’s representative matters include:
- GWG Holdings, Inc. and certain of its subsidiaries, a publicly-traded life settlements and alternative investments company with approximately $2.1 billion in debt at the time of filing, as debtors’ counsel, in connection with their Chapter 11 cases.
- Northern Ocean Ltd., an international drilling contractor, in connection with the US chapter 11 filing of Seadrill Limited and its affiliates, a leading global provider of offshore contract drilling services with approximately $7.3 billion in debt at the time of filing, and the negotiation of a contract dispute with Seadrill Limited and its affiliates.
- An information processing company in the strategic purchase of equity interests in certain financially distressed financial technology companies and substantially all of the assets of another financially distressed financial technology company through an out-of-court Article 9 foreclosure sale by a secured seller-party.
- School Specialty, Inc., a leading provider of educational products and services to the Pre-K- 12th grade market in the U.S. and Canada, in its successful out-of-court restructuring of more than $300 million of debt and consensual sale of substantially all of its assets to an entity formed by TCW Asset Management Company, LLC, Cerberus Capital Management, and Lantern Capital Partners.
- Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in the pending sale of its preferred equity interest in Hummel Power Station, a 1,124-megawatt natural gas-fired combined-cycle generating facility located in northern Pennsylvania, to an affiliate of a fund managed by LS Power Equity Advisors, LLC, and related transactions involving the sale of Hummel Power Station.
University of Illinois, BA, magna cum laude
University of Minnesota, JD, cum laude