José Carlos Altomari is an associate in the Corporate & Securities practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown in the Rio de Janeiro office. Since 2012, José Carlos has focused on representing clients in the Brazilian power industry in all segments – generation, transmission, distribution, trade and consumption – regarding regulatory, contractual and corporate matters, including assistance in drafting and negotiating complex contracts for implementation and development of projects, such as engineering, procurement and construction agreements (EPCs), transmission and distribution grid connection and use agreements (CCTs, CUSTs, CCDs and CUSDs), power purchase agreements (PPAs), fuel supply agreements (FSAs), gas supply agreements (GSAs), operation and maintenance agreements (O&Ms), among others. Additionally he represents clients in administrative proceedings and representation with government and regulatory entities (MME, ANEEL and ONS), public and private bids, mergers and acquisitions and project finance.
- Represented a power transmission concessionaire on the process for selling its share control, in the amount of, approximately, BRL 273 million, including (i) coordination of legal, financial and technical Due Diligences; (ii) SPA negotiation; and (iii) after-closing procedures.
- Represented an investment bank on its participation on a power transmission concession auction, resulting on a winning bid for a 245 kilometers-long lot.
- Represented an under implementation power transmission concessionaire on its entire legal structuring, including (i) discussions, drafts and reviews of the corporate structure; (ii) drafts and reviews of the main contracts (such as EPCs); and (iii) follow-up on the legal performance of said contracts (mainly concerning claims)
- Represented a commodities trading company on the structuring of the Brazilian collaterals of an Oil & Gas Export Prepayment Agreement in the amount of, approximately, U$ 120 million, including the establishment of guarantees over FPSOs and stocked oil.
- Represented two thermal power plants and a small hydroelectric power plant by drafting and reviewing their operation and maintenance contracts.
- Represented a Brazilian power holding company on a Due Diligence process for the privatization of an electric energy distribution concessionaire.
- Represented a group of companies of the Brazilian power sector by structuring their compliance program, including trainings for executives and plants’ technicians.
Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV/RJ), Extension in Compliance
Faculdade de Direito da Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)