Simon Au is a senior associate in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. Simon has a broad practice covering commercial advice, dispute resolution, and regulatory compliance, with extensive experience in real estate related matters. Clients that Simon advises include property developers, educational institutions, private individuals, charities, and financial institutions.
He advises on both general areas such as tenancy disputes, tax, and loan enforcement, and also special matters for which there may not be any settled law or practice, such as mobile app data use, private estate disputes, and various esoteric land matters. Simon has extensive experience in dealing with vexatious litigation.
Simon is a native speaker of English and Cantonese. He is competent in Mandarin and speaks Japanese conversationally.
- Advised on proprietary data use, educational institutions, mobile apps, COVID restriction compliance; AGM & EGM management.
- Advised on misselling cases, winding up & bankruptcy; professional trusts (financial products), company & bank liquidation (both liquidator and creditor), loan enforcement.
- Advised on land grant compliance, conveyancing, landlord & tenant, public housing, leasing, building management (including Deeds of Mutual Covenant), public dedication, land resumption, New Territories (including Chinese Customary Law), private recreational leases, building & planning.
- Advised on offshore family trusts, wills, disputes (advising estates, creditors, & beneficiaries).
- Advised on discrimination complaints, Public Place of Entertainment License, Liquor License.
- Advised and brought more than 20 cases to trial or other Court resolution. A list of reported or published judgments and decisions is available on request.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
Wesleyan University, Bachelor of Arts (Honors)
- Hong Kong
- Member, Law Society of Hong Kong, 2013 - Present