João Carlos Areosa is an associate in the Litigation and Arbitration, as well as the Restructuring, Bankruptcy and Insolvency practices of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown in the São Paulo office.
João has represented clients for more than 10 years in complex litigation and arbitration cases related to corporate, capital markets and commercial contracts for prominent players in the Brazilian market. He also represents clients and their interests in various industries, with particular emphasis on banking, finance, pension funds, pharmaceuticals and infrastructure.
These disputes usually take place before major arbitral institutions (domestic and international) or before Brazilian courts. João has represented clients before the most important arbitral institutions: International Chamber of Commerce – ICC, London Court of International Arbitration – LCIA, Chamber of Commerce Brasil-Canadá – CCBC and the Arbitral Chamber for the Market – CAM | BM&FBovespa.
Before joining Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown, João was a member of Machado Meyer Sendacz Opice Advogados and Barbosa Müssnich Aragão – BMA.
- Represented Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional – CSN in a complex corporate litigation against a minority shareholder of one of its controlled logistic companies.
- Represented Socopa Corretora Paulista S.A. in an arbitration proceeding before the Arbitration Chamber for the Market – CAM | BM&FBovespa against an investor involved in high yield option trades.
- Represented Petros - Fundação Petrobras de Seguridade Social before the Brazilian SEC Comissão de Valores Mobiliários – CVM.
- Represented Grupo Uniáguas in an arbitration proceeding before the Chamber of Commerce Brasil-Canadá – CCBC against the controlling shareholder of one of its invested companies.
- Represented a minority shareholder of Grupo Sendas in a complex corporate litigation against the remaining shareholders (controlling group), seeking his withdrawal from the Group and the realization of its assets.
- Represented Lafarge in a complex corporate litigation within one of its invested companies in Brazil to discuss the validity of the arbitration agreement set forth in the shareholders agreement, as well as the possibility to exercise the put option. The dispute took place before the State Courts of Rio de Janeiro and the International Chamber of Commerce – ICC.
- Represented a major US Investment Bank in an investigation regarding an alleged insider trading practice during a merger of two Brazilian public companies before the Brazilian SEC and the appellate administrative court (CRSFN).
- Represented a Brazilian company in an arbitral procedure before the London Court of International Arbitration – LCIA against a major Chinese vehicle company related to the a joint venture agreement to be executed in Brazil.
- Represented an investor against a Brazilian brokerage house regarding trades executed before BM&FBovespa without his orders.
- Represented Oi S.A. in its court-supervised proceeding.
- Represented BB DTVM as a creditor within the court-supervised proceedings filed by Gyotoku and Companhia Brasileira de Açúcar e Álcool – CBAA.
The University of Chicago Law School, LLM
Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP), MA, Civil procedural law
Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV/RJ)Post-graduate (lato sensu) degree focused on commercial contracts; Continuing studies program (PEC) focused on corporate law and capital markets.
University of California, Davis School of Law, Orientation in USA law
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), LLB
- Member, Brazilian BAR Association – Rio de Janeiro Section
- Member, Brazilian BAR Association – São Paulo Section
- Member, Brazilian Institute for Procedural Law - IBDP
- Member, Brazilian Arbitration Committee – CBAr
- Member, Private Law Institute– IDP
- Member, Sâo Paulo Lawyers’ Institute – IASP