Melissa Anyetei is an Intellectual Property partner in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office. A registered patent attorney with a background in engineering, Melissa focuses her practice on patent litigation, procurement and counseling, and intellectual property transactions. She has experience in a wide range of technologies including medical devices, pharmaceutical and chemical products, internet-based technology, consumer products, mobile devices and telecommunications.
Melissa has represented clients in federal district courts, before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. She also has experience with § 337 investigations before the US International Trade Commission. As an attorney registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office, Melissa has also counseled clients in all aspects of IP procurement and enforcement, including providing strategic advice regarding freedom to operate, patent prosecution and portfolio management.
Melissa’s corporate and transactional IP experience includes evaluating, structuring, and managing commercial transactions, including IP due diligence for stock and asset acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, joint ventures, and strategic alliances involving US, foreign and multinational corporations. She has structured technology-related agreements such as asset- and technology-transfer agreements, patent and trademark assignments, licenses and joint venture and collaboration agreements.
Melissa has been recognized as a Rising Star in intellectual property by Illinois Super Lawyers (2012-2020) and was named to Lawyers of Color’s Nation’s Best list for 2020. She also was named an “Influential Woman” by the Illinois Diversity Council in 2016 and received the “Leadership Excellence in Law” award from the Illinois Diversity Council in 2015. In addition, Melissa was named as a finalist by the Euromoney Legal Media Group for its 2014 Euromoney Americas Women in Business Law Awards as a Rising Star in intellectual property.
- Won a major patent case as trial counsel for a global coalition of the 18 largest automobile manufacturers in Europe, Asia and the U.S. The case involved a novel touch-based technology that measures blood alcohol levels when a driver's finger touches the ignition button.
- Represented a diversified global technology company in a dispute involving sensor-based technology. The litigation resulted in the stipulated dismissal of the opposing party’s entire case based on evidence showing the asserted patent to be both invalid and not infringed.
- Represented an international medical device company charged with infringing a patent covering an endoscopic stone extraction device. The case featured a successful motion to transfer from the Eastern District of Texas, and a Patent Trial and Appeal Board decision invalidating all of the claims of the patent-in-suit.
- Represented global optical fiber coating manufacturer in ten inter partes reviews before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Represented Galderma Laboratories in a Hatch-Waxman patent litigation relating to its topical metronidazole gel sold under the trade name MetroGel® (Galderma Labs. et al. v. Tolmar, Inc., N.D. Tx.).
- Represented leading educational publisher in a complex IP case involving related claims of utility and design patent infringement, trademark infringement, copyright infringement and trade dress infringement.
- Represented a global food, agricultural and industrial producer in a patent infringement action before the US International Trade Commission involving glucosamine.
- Represented a global manufacturer of gaming machines on appeal to the Federal Circuit that resulted in a favorable affirmance.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Represented a life sciences and material sciences company in several inter partes review proceedings before the USPTO involving patents relating to optical fiber coatings.
- Defended a global payments technology company in an infringement action involving cryptographic protection of smart cards.
- Advised a $12 billion global manufacturing company on restructuring of its licensing and global royalty program.
- Advised a leading on-line educational provider on a global licensing program.
- Represented Syngenta Crop Protection AG in connection with the acquisition of the professional products insecticide business of E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company.
- Managed a brand pharmaceutical company’s extensive patent portfolio relating to a transdermal pharmaceutical product.
- Provides strategic advice regarding licensing, protection of intellectual property, freedom to operate and patent portfolio management including Orange Book listings, reissues and reexamination.
- Represents Chicago United, an organization promoting multiracial leadership in business to advance parity in economic opportunity, in their trademark and enforcement matters.
Columbia University School of Law, JD
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Northwestern University, BS, Industrial Engineering
- Illinois Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Fellow (2017)
- Black Women Lawyers’ Association
- Council of One Hundred (C100), Northwestern University
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- National Bar Association
- Junior Board Member, YMCA Project SOAR