Mayer Brown has extensive experience on a wide variety of contentious and non-contentious matters across the Middle East. We have Arabic-speaking lawyers, knowledge of local law and an extensive contacts across the Gulf and the broader Middle East.
Our dedicated team of lawyers has worked success- fully on matters covering the construction, infrastructure, banking, energy, petrochemical and other key industry sectors. Our excellent reputation in the region is complemented by our strength in other key disciplines, such as corporate, commercial, capital markets, project finance and international trade, and by the decades of experience of our highly ranked Global International Arbitration practice.
We apply our local and global knowledge in marshalling complex evidence, analyzing applicable law and procedures, developing and evaluating alternative strategies, and engaging in compelling written and oral advocacy. Our team has had extensive experience in the successful resolution of disputes before all the major arbitration institutions throughout the world, including the ICC, LCIA, CRCICA and DIAC, as well as the DIFC LCIA Arbitration Centre and the Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration. We have lawyers who are registered to act in the DIFC court.
- Represented SMI and SM Inc. as contractor and alleged contractor, respectively, in ICC construction arbitration proceedings arising out of a dispute with Air Algérie, one of the largest companies in Algeria, concerning the construction of its new headquarter offices in Algeria. The proceedings were held in Geneva.
- Acted for an English company in arbitration proceedings in Egypt under the rules of the Cairo Regional Arbitration Centre.
- Represented an Arab oil company in LCIA arbitration proceedings arising out of a construction project in Kuwait.
- Acted for an employer in defending an UNCITRAL arbitration in Dubai commenced by a consultant in connection with a large development in Iran.
- Acted for the main contractor in DIAC arbitration proceedings concerning claims for unpaid and under certified work, variations, omissions, delay and wrongful termination in relation to the construction of a multibillion dollar prestigious mixed-use leisure development in the UAE.
- Represented a Saudi Arabian company in CMAP (Centre for Mediation and Arbitration of Paris) arbitration against a French company concerning a disputed dairy products distribution contract.
- Represented a major UAE Contractor in procuring the first-ever enforcement of a DIFC Court Judgment within a foreign jurisdiction.
- Represented an Algerian incorporated company in ICC proceedings as lead counsel in a matter involving claims of breach of contract and non-payment of outstanding sums due under a consultancy agreement in relation to construction projects in Algeria.
- Advised a Civil Construction Company on a major international arbitration in excess of US$100 million in connection with the termination of a contract on an infrastructure project in Qatar. The arbitration was subject to the ICC rules and the seat of the arbitration was in London.
- Represented a Lebanese company as claimant in an ICC arbitration over the termination of a joint venture agreement with a Kuwaiti company. The joint venture was to develop a chain of stores selling food products in various areas in the MENA region.
- Represented an Arab company against an Arab State in an adhoc arbitration under the Organization of the Islamic Conference in a dispute arising from the refusal to renew licenses.
- Represented Joy Mining & Machinery, Ltd., a mining equipment manufacturer, in an investor-state dispute, and then in an ICC arbitration, against the Arab Republic of Egypt—relating to a phosphate mine in Egypt.
- Advised a Japanese and Saudi-owned oil company on LCIA arbitration proceedings arising out of the design and construction of a sewage plant in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. This was a substantive dispute subject to Saudi law.
- Advised a civil construction company in relation to an ICC arbitration in excess of US$30 million regarding a sewage treatment in Qatar, arising out of a dispute between joint venture partners. The seat of the arbitration was in London.
- Represented a global mining equipment manufacturer in an ICSID arbitration and related UNCITRAL arbitration against a sovereign in a dispute relating to mining equipment, services and associated financial instruments in connection with a phosphate mine in Egypt.
- Represented a Lebanese company in ICC arbitration proceedings with a seat in Paris against a Kuwaiti company with respect to claims arising from the wrongful termination of a joint venture in the distribution sector in Lebanon.
- Advised on multimillion dollar claims and an UNCITRAL arbitration on a major process plant project.
- Represented a Lebanese company in ICC proceedings as lead counsel in a matter involving claims of breach of contract and non-payment of outstanding sums due under a consultancy agreement in relation to construction projects in Algeria.
- Instructed by Fouad Alghanim & Sons Automotive Co. in relation to an ICSID arbitration pursuant to the Jordan-Kuwait Bilateral Investment Treaty.