"They have a broad international experience that allows them to ask the right questions and compile relevant information quickly." Chambers Global 2019
Mayer Brown advises on the largest and most innovative infrastructure projects around the globe. One of Law360’s “Project Finance Groups of the Year” for 2017 and 2018, we have participated in award-winning transactions on five continents.
With a resume that includes projects ranging from the expansion of the Panama Canal to hydropower generation in Myanmar, our experience sets us apart.
Our background in projects spans virtually all sectors, giving us deep knowledge of:
- Power – Thermal power production, renewable energy, hydropower and transmission
- Mining – Commodities extraction in Europe, Africa, South America and Asia
- Oil & Gas – Petrochemical plants, LNG Facilities and midstream transmission
- Transportation – Toll roads, canals and ports and airports
The depth of our practice means we are able to efficiently handle issues that arise in large-scale projects— from inception and development to long-term investment. Our Global Projects practice engages each of Mayer Brown’s disciplines, including our Banking & Finance team (stretching from Singapore to London to New York), our Mergers & Acquisitions team (handling, among other mandates, multibillion-dollar energy acquisitions in developing countries) and our Litigation & Dispute Resolution team (representing the Panama Canal Authority in multiple disputes with the European-led expansion construction consortium). With our strong “one-firm” culture, we deliver unmatched capabilities and insight across jurisdictions and industry sectors.
With extensive experience bringing award-winning projects to completion, we can structure, negotiate, and document the full array of project and financing agreements for energy projects, including large scale renewable energy, power, oil and gas.
- 8point3 Energy Partners. Represented Allianz Global Investors in a bond financing transaction for a portfolio of solar projects held by 8point3 Energy Partners and acquired by Capital Dynamics.
- Vietnamese Hydropower Plant. Represented Goldman Sachs (Asia) L.L.C. as mandated lead arranger in a US $125 million loan facility to VNECO Hoi Xuan Investment and Electricity Construction JSC, a Vietnamese project company, to construct a 102 MW hydropower project on the Ma River in Vietnam.
- Porto de Sergipe I LNG-to-Power Complex. Represented GE Capital in its agreement with Centrais Elétricas de Sergipe to provide credit support on the Porto de Sergipe I Thermoelectric Complex Project. Named Latin American Power Deal of the Year 2018 by IJ Global, Best Bond and Best Infrastructure Financing: Brazil, 2018 LatinFinance and Latin America: Project Finance Deal of the Year 2019 by Bonds & Loans Latin America.
- Australia Export/Guangdong LNG. Represented the vessel sponsors providing the transportation for the project initially using two 138,000cbm LNG tankers. This was China’s first LNG import project and Australia’s largest-ever export contract.
- Lake Charles Petrochemical Plant. Represented BNP Paribas as lender in a $4 billion credit facility to finance Sasol Ltd.’s $8.1 billion petrochemical facility in Lake Charles, Louisiana.
- Tahrir Petrochemical Project. Representing five different government lender agencies (US Ex-Im Bank, Korea Eximbank, KSure, SACE and OPIC) in the $7.5 billion Tahrir Petrochemical naptha cracker project in Egypt.
- EBIC Ammonia. Advised US Export-Import Bank in the $600 million gas-to-ammonia EBIC project in Sokhna, Suez, Egypt.
- Saudi Arabian Petrochemicals. Advised BP and the subsequent sponsors on the $4.5 billion project development of a downstream and petrochemicals facility in Saudi Arabia.
- Turkmenistan-East China Pipeline. Represented China National Petroleum Corporation in the proposed 6,250 km, $9.5 billion gas pipeline from Turkmenistan to East China.
Our extensive track record of advising public and private clients on a variety of ground-breaking transactions involving roads, airports, ports, mass transit and other transportation assets gives us a unique level of market credibility.
- Bermuda Airport. Represented the noteholders as investors on the private placement of US$285 million senior secured notes due 2042 issued by Bermuda Skyport Corporation Limited, the operator of the L.F. Wade International Airport in Bermuda. Named North America Airport Deal of the Year 2017 by IJ Global.
- Bang Yai – Rat Burana Transit. Advised a consortium of project managers led by Systra SA for the 40 km extension of the Mass Rapid Transit of Thailand (MRTA) Purple Line (Bang Yai – Rat Burana) in Bangkok.
- Aruba Green Corridor. Acted as sponsor’s counsel to Grupo Odinsa S.A., a Colombian infrastructure and construction company, on the Aruba Green Corridor availability payment road project, the first ever public-private-partnership financing completed in Aruba and one of the first in the Caribbean. Named Best Infrastructure Financing: Caribbean 2016 by LatinFinance and is a finalist for Best Road/Bridge/Tunnel Project to be awarded by P3 Bulletin.
- Ohio River Bridges—East End Crossing. Represented, as sponsors’ counsel to WVB East End Partners, LLC, on a design-build-finance-operate-maintain PPP for the East End Crossing, a planned toll bridge and roadway crossing the Ohio River Kentucky and southern Indiana. 2013 “National Deal of the Year” and North America Project Bond Deal of the Year 2013.
- Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport. Represented the Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnerships Authority, on a 40-year lease agreement with Aerostar Airport Holdings LLC to privatize Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in San Juan. The transaction marked the first privatization of a major airport in the US. Named the North America Transport Deal of the Year 2013 by Project Finance magazine.
- Rutas de Lima. We represented Goldman, Sachs & Co., BBVA, Credicorp Capital and Banco de Crédito del Perú as underwriters and loan arrangers on the mixed senior secured bond and senior secured loan for the $1 billion Rutas de Lima project, a public-private partnership (PPP) toll road project in Lima, Peru. Project Finance Deal of the Year 2014 in the category of Public Private Partnerships (PPP).
- Grand Parkway Project. Served as project finance counsel with respect to the Grand Parkway toll project in Houston, Texas.
- Sociedad Concesionaria Autovía de la Plata. Represented Sociedad Concesionaria Autovía de la Plata as English law counsel in the issuance of €184.5 million of its 3.169% project bonds due 2041. The issuer is sponsored by Meridiam, a global infrastructure finance firm, and leading Spanish construction companies Acciona Infraestructuras and Cintra Infraestructuras. The proceeds of the offering were used to refinance the issuer’s outstanding debt incurred in the construction of the A66 Autovía de la Plata highway in Spain.
No matter how complex the deal or remote the operation, our mining team is likely to have worked on a similar assignment before and can identify likely issues and resolve them quickly. Our Mining practice is regularly ranked in the top tier of legal providers for mining and minerals by the leading independent legal directory guides. According to Chambers Global, "Mining is a niche area where Mayer Brown is especially singled out for praise."
- Öksüt Gold Mine. Represented UniCredit Bank AG, as facility agent, security holder, technical agent, documentation agent, mandated lead arranger and a lender, and a European multilateral development financial institution, as a mandated lead arranger and a lender, in US$150 million term facility for the construction and operation of the Öksüt gold mine and related infrastructure in the Kayseri region of Turkey.
- Gokirmak Copper Mine. Represented the lenders in the project financing for the development of the Gokirmak copper mine located in the Hanonu district of Kastamonu in Turkey.
- Minas de Aguas Teñidas. Represented the mandated lead arrangers, to refinance a US$ 400 million senior secured facility for Minas de Aguas Teñidas (MATSA), a mining company based in Spain.
- Dundee Precious Metals. Represented the borrower on the financing of the development of the Chelopech copper and gold mine in Bulgaria.
- Yaramoko Gold Project. Advised the lenders, including Société Générale and BNP Paribas on the financing and development of Roxgold Inc.'s Yaramoko gold project in Burkina Faso.
- Nordic Mines. Advised Nordic Mines on the restructuring of the project finance facilities provided by its lenders. The restructuring, which included the write-down of lender debt from EUR 45.1 million to EUR 12.5 million and this year involved the subsequent purchase by the company of the remaining outstanding claims of the lenders, is of strategic importance as it will enable Nordic Mines to move forward with a new strategic main owner.
- Wolf Minerals. Advised Wolf Minerals Limited on the financing for the construction and development of a tin and tungsten mine in Hemerdon, Devon. Upon financial close, this will be the first mine in the UK to be financed for several years and, once the project is complete, a mine that has been closed for more than 60 years, will be reopened. European Mining & Metals Deal of the Year 2013.
- Endeavour Mining. Advised UniCredit Bank AG, Societie Generale, BNP Paribas, ING Bank N.V and Deutsche Bank AG on the refinancing of a revolving corporate loan facility for Endeavour Mining Corporation, which included an increase in the available facility from $200 million to $350 million. African Mining Deal of the Year 2013.
- New Liberty Gold Project. Advised Nedbank Capital and Rand Merchant Bank on the US$88 million senior debt facility made available to Aureus Mining in relation to the New Liberty gold project, Liberia’s first gold producing mine. Development Funding Deal of the Year Award 2013.
We have extensive experience with port development, acquisition and privatization transactions and a wide range of maritime infrastructure matters.
- Kingston Container Terminal. Represented the Port Authority of Jamaica on the expansion of the Kingston Container Terminal in Kingston, Jamaica. Named North America Port Deal of the Year 2016, IJ Global and Best Port Financing, LatinFinance 2017.
San Martín de Pisco General Port. Represented Corporacion Financiera de Desarrollo (Cofide) as a lender on the financing for the for the development and modernization of the San Martín de Pisco General Port in Peru.
- Embraport. Acted for Empresa Brasileira de Terminais Portuários SA, a port operator, on all aspects relating to the financing of the port of Santos, Brazil expansion.
- Equatorial Guinea Port. Advised a sponsor with a concession to construct and operate the first private port and related facilities in Equatorial Guinea.
- Hong Kong Harbour. Advised Western Harbour Tunnel Company on tender documents and HK$5.2 billion financing and HK$3.5 billion refinancing for a 30-year franchise for the BOT Western Harbour Crossing Project.
- Port of Americas. Representing the Port of the Americas Authority with negotiations for the long-term operating concession for the $750 million container terminal project in Ponce, Puerto Rico.
- Port of Portland. Counsel to the Port of Portland in connection with the potential long-term concession and lease of the Port’s Terminal 6 marine container terminal.
- Sokhna Port. Advised an export credit agency in connection with a financing for the Sokhna Port in Egypt, the first private port in that country.
- Valparaiso Seaport. Represented DEG (German Investment and Development Company, a subsidiary of the KfW banking group) and other lenders in connection with the project financing of the privatization of the Chilean seaport of Valparaiso.
Mayer Brown has an established track record of involvement in some of the most significant projects in the world. Over the last decade, numerous transactions we have worked on that have achieved "Deal of the Year" honors or "Best Deal" awards from over a dozen industry publications, including the following:
- TAG Pipeline (Brazil) - Oil & Gas Financing of the Year 2019 by LatinFinance.
- Bioceanico Highway (Paraguay) - Bond of the Year 2019 by LatinFinance.
- Naranjal and Del Litoral Solar Power Plants (Uruguay) - Latin America: Structured Bond Deal of the Year 2019 by Bonds & Loans Latin America.
- Centrais Elétricas de Sergipe (Brazil) - Best Bond and Best Infrastructure Financing (Brazil), LatinFinance 2018 and IJ Global “Latin American Power Deal of the Year” 2018.
- Celeo Redes Operación (Chile) - Best Power Financing, Best Bond and Best Infrastructure Financing (Andes) LatinFinance 2017.
- Kingston Container Terminal Expansion (Jamaica) - North America Port Deal of the Year 2016, IJ Global and Best Port Financing, LatinFinance 2017.
- Myingyan Independent Power Project (Myanmar) - Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards Asia-Pacific 2017.
- Bermuda Airport - North America Airport Deal of the Year 2017 by IJ Global.
- Lynx Resources (Macedonia) - Project Finance Deal of the Year 2016 - Trade & Forfaiting Review. Petrochemical Deal of the Year, IJGlobal Asia Awards 2016.
- Campo Palomas (Uruguay) - 2017 Project Finance Deal of the Year, Bonds & Loans Latin America.
- Myanmar Telecoms Project (Myanmar) - Asian-MENA Counsel Deal of the Year 2016.
- PAU Ammonia Project (Indonesia) - Finance Deal of the Year: Project Finance, Asia Legal Awards 2016 and Asia Pacific Petrochemical Deal of the Year 2015, Thomson Reuter’s Project Finance International (PFI) awards.
- Aruba Green Corridor - Best Infrastructure Financing: Caribbean 2016 by LatinFinance.
- A66 Motorway (Madrid) - Europe – Refinancing Deal of the Year 2015, IJGlobal Europe and Africa Awards.
- Yaramoko Gold Project (Burkina Faso) - Africa – Mining and Metals Deal of the Year 2015. 2015 IFLR Americas Project Finance Team of the Year.
- Rutas de Lima Toll Road (Peru) - Best Local Currency Financing; Best Road Financing; and Best Infrastructure Financing (Andes), LatinFinance 2015 and 2014 PPP Deal of the Year by World Finance magazine.
- Parque Eólico Marcona/Tres Hermanas (Peru) - Best Renewable Energy Financing, LatinFinance 2015.
- ACI Airport SudAmérica (Uruguay) - Best Airport Financing, LatinFinance 2015.
- Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde (Peru) - Best Mining Financing: Best Loan 2014 by LatinFinance magazine.
- Toyo Thai (Myanmar) - Deal of the Year 2014 by the Asian-MENA Counsel.
- Abengoa Transmisión Sur (Peru) - Latin American Transmission Deal of the Year 2014.
- Endeavour Mining (Mali, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast and Ghana) - African Mining Deal of the Year 2013 Project Finance magazine.
- Wolf Minerals (Devon, southwest England) - European Mining & Metals Deal of the Year 2013 Project Finance magazine.
- New Liberty gold project (Liberia) - Development Funding Deal of the year 2013 Mining Journal.
- Orosí Wind Farm (Costa Rica) - Latin America Wind Deal of the Year 2013 by Project Finance magazine.
- Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport (Puerto Rico) - North America Transport Deal of the Year 2013 by Project Finance magazine.
- Ohio River Bridges - East End Crossing - North America Project Bond Deal of the Year 2013. Bond Buyer magazine.
- Oaxaca II and Oaxaca IV Wind Farms (Mexico) - Latin American Project Bond Deal of the Year 2012
- Via Parque Rimac toll road (Peru) - Latin American PPP (Public-Private Partnership) Deal of the Year 2012
- Kwale titanium mineral sands project (Kenya) - ‘Development Funding Deal of the Year 2011 & 2006’ Mining Journal and ‘Africa Mining Deal of the Year 2011’ Project Finance International.
- Boseto (Botswana) - African Mining Deal of the Year 2011 Project Finance magazine.
- Huascacocha Water Infrastructure (Peru) - Latin America Water Deal of the Year 2010 & Project Finance Deal of the Year 2011.
- Denver FasTracks (US) - North American Transport Deal of the Year 2010.
- Nuevo Pemex (Mexico) - Latin America Power Deal of the Year 2010 & Latin America Deal of the Year 2010.
- Boleo (Mexico) - ‘Latin America Mining Deal of the Year 2010’ Project Finance International & ‘Exploration and Development Funding Award 2010’ Mining Journal Awards.
- Baja (Mexico) - ‘Exploration and Development Funding Award’ Mining Journal Awards 2010.
- Paiton 3 (Indonesia) - Asia Project Finance Deal of the Year 2009.
- Odebrecht Drill Ships (Brazil) - Americas Deal of the Year 2009 & Best Project Finance Deal 2009
- Bisha Mines (Eritrea) - African Mining Deal of the Year 2009.
- São Paulo Rodoanel (Brazil) - Transport Deal of the Year 2009.
We are also regularly highlighted and ranked as one of the leading projects practices by independent legal directories and trade media, including:
Chambers and Partners
- Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy – USA
- Projects: Latin America-wide
- Projects & Energy: Mining & Minerals – Global-wide
- Projects & Energy: Mining & Minerals – Africa-wide*
- Projects & Energy:Africa-wide
- Projects & Infrastructure: International – Singapore
- Projects, Infrastructure & Energy: Vietnam
- Projects: Foreign Desk – UK
Chambers Asia Pacific
- Projects: Infrastructure*
- Projects: Foreign Firms – Singapore
- Projects & Infrastructure (International Firms) – China
- Projects & Infrastructure: International – Singapore
Chambers Latin America
- Projects: Latin America-wide
- Projects: Brazil (Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown)
- Energy & Natural Resources: Mining*
- Project: PPP*
- Project Finance
- Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Energy: Oil and gas
- Infrastructure (including PFI and PPP)
- Mining and minerals
- Americas Project Finance Team of the Year 2015
- Project Finance: UK
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Mining
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Infrastructure
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Oil and gas
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Energy
- Project Development: Vietnam
- Project Development: Thailand
- Project Finance (Foreign) – Singapore
- Project Development (Foreign) – Singapore
- Project Finance: Hong Kong
- Project Finance Group of the Year 2018
US News/Best Lawyers
- Project Finance Law
- Law Firm of the Year 2015
*Denotes current Tier 1 ranking.