Our Integrated Team
Mayer Brown’s Private Equity, Funds & Investment Management practice includes a global Private Equity team spread across four continents, covering the Americas, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. The Private Equity team at Mayer Brown is recognized as a leading practice in a number of fields and jurisdictions and the firm has been ranked for several years among the very best by Legal 500 and Chambers.
We pride ourselves on forging long-term relationships with private equity sponsors and venture capital firms that begins with fund formation and continues throughout their investment activities and exit strategies. We make the effort to understand our private equity clients’ businesses and investment objectives, and include lawyers with industry-specific experience on our deal teams, so that we can tailor pragmatic and innovative solutions to complex problems. Experienced tax lawyers are a permanent part of our transaction team and ensure that the investment structure chosen meets the specific needs of our clients.
Our international Private Equity team offers a one-stop shop covering all relevant aspects of private equity transactions. We have extensive experience in structuring, preparing, managing and executing transactions across the asset class, as well as assisting on any related financing. We also advise on related structural, tax, warranty insurance and ancillary legal issues, as well as fund structuring. Our private equity lawyers leverage our firm’s deep practice groups to serve our private equity clients, including our extensive experience in mergers & acquisitions, finance, ERISA, real estate, IP, securitization, environmental law, bankruptcy/restructuring and other practice areas.
Mayer Brown is a leading global law firm working with various types of different private equity funds and their sponsors, regardless of the geographic or investment focus, including infrastructure funds, pledge funds, venture capital funds, captive funds, funds of funds, secondary funds and debt and mezzanine funds. Our private equity team draws upon our industry experience to assist clients, including infrastructure, automotive, technology, life sciences, health care, food and beverage, chemicals, consumer products, energy, real estate, franchising, communications, insurance, manufacturing, distribution, telecommunications and business and financial services. We also advise lenders and other financial institutions involved in private equity transactions in connection with leveraged acquisitions, as well as management teams.
Our advice extends to all stages of the private equity life cycle:
- Fund formation & structuring
- Regulatory & tax
- Fund management
- Fiscal compliance
- Acquisition finance
- Due diligence
- M&A: buyouts, minority stakes, LBOs, MBOs, public-to-private, public takeovers
- Antitrust & compliance
- Management package
- Monitoring: tax, employment, corporate/commercial
- Restructuring & refinancing
- Shareholder rights
- Dispute resolution
- Auction sales, IPO, or dual track process
- Preparations for sale
Select private equity representations include:
- Aurelius Equity Opportunities. Advised Aurelius Equity Opportunities, the private equity investment entity of Aurelius Group, the pan-European asset manager, on the acquisition of leading UK online photo retailer Wex Photographic.
- BlueGem Capital Partners. Advised on its accepted offer to acquire the DMC SAS group, the world-leading embroidery thread manufacturer.
- Bozano Private Equity Gestão Ltda. Advised Bozano Private Equity Gestão Ltda, a private equity manager of Bozano group, in the formation of a joint venture with an investment vehicle of Mr. Elie Horn (Cyrela) that will focus on investing, directly or through its subsidiaries, in the Brazilian healthcare sector.
- Chequers Capital. Advised on the disposal of its stake in Provalliance SAS, a hair salon operator in France, to JCRT Investissements, a holding company held by the founding family.
- Francisco Partners. Advised Francisco Partners, a leading global private equity firm, on the acquisition of ByBox, the international software and supply chain management company.
- H.I.G. Capital. Advised H.I.G. Capital, a leading global private equity investment firm, and the management team, on the sale of Fibercore Limited, a world leader in the design and manufacture of specialty optical fiber, to Humanetics Innovative Solutions, Inc., a portfolio company of Golden Gate Capital, the private equity firm based in San Francisco.
- Sensus, The Jordan Company and Goldman Sachs Private Equity Group. Advised Sensus, a global leader in smart meters, network technologies and advanced data analytics solutions for the water industry, The Jordan Company and Goldman Sachs Private Equity Group in Sensus’ sale to Xylem Inc. for $1.7 billion.
- Steadfast Capital Fund III, L.P. Advised Steadfast Capital Fund III, L.P., a German private equity fund, on the acquisition of the majority stakes in Reutter GmbH, the Germany-based manufacturer of caps and selective catalytic reduction filling systems for commercial vehicles and passenger cars, and ITIB S.r.l., the Italy-based manufacturer of thermoplastic corrugated flexible pipes and 3D-plastic blow moulded items for the automotive and white goods markets, from Fortas AG.
- TPG Capital. Advised TPG Capital on its proposed acquisition of a majority stake in Vietnam Australia International School (VAS) and post-closing shareholder arrangements. VAS is a private school group with more than 6,300 students at seven campuses in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Vitruvian Partners. Advised European private equity firm, Vitruvian Partners, on the acquisition through a secondary buyout of UK-based travel agents network Travel Counsellors from private equity house Equistone Partners.
- Vitruvian Partners. Advised European private equity firm, Vitruvian Partners, on the purchase of OAG Aviation Holdings Limited from AXIO Group, the portfolio company owned by Epiris Managers LLP, for approximately $215 million.
- Vitruvian Partners. Advised Vitruvian Partners and its portfolio company JAC Travel on its sale to Australian-listed travel company Webjet Limited for £200 million.
Ranked Tier 3 for Private Equity - Hong Kong
LEGAL 500 UK 2018
Ranked Band 2 for Private Equity: Transactions – Mid-Market Deals
Mayer Brown International LLP's team attracts high praise for its 'in-depth understanding of structuring private equity deals'
Ranked Tier 3 for Private Equity - Hong Kong
Legal 500 2016 EMEA – France, Private Equity
“Mayer Brown provides a ‘high-end service’. The 20-lawyer team is conversant in the ‘latest LBO techniques’, shows ‘excellent judgment and knowledge of the market’ and forms ‘a comprehensive practice’, which can leverage complementary tax and finance expertise.“
“It is a leading player in the mid-cap market and also regularly picks up large-cap deal mandates. The firm is also recognised for its strong management package expertise.”
Chambers Europe 2016 – France, Private Equity/High-end capability
“Exceptional private equity group, handling mid-market and high-end transactions, LBOs and management packages. Also has significant capabilities in fund formation matters, particularly tax structuring.”
“The practitioners are extremely pragmatic with a high consideration and care for protecting the client's interests."
Chambers USA 2015
“They have really deep client knowledge and first-class service.”
Chambers Europe 2015 – France, Private Equity
“Standout practice offering a dedicated and expert investment funds service. Combines regulatory, tax and transactional support to provide in-depth advice to established funds on investments, leveraged financing and secondary market transactions. Additional strength in fund formation, including fund establishment and management.”
"Very satisfied with the service provided, especially the availability and experience of the partners."
"A creative team of lawyers who help you to think outside of the box."
Legal 500 USA 2015
“Mayer Brown’s convincing global platform brings it a healthy flow of cross-border transactions. With genuine credibility in the US, Europe, Asia and South America, it has the network and resources to work efficiently on multi-jurisdictional deals. The firm has a particularly strong record in the financial institutions (including insurance) space, and in chemicals, life sciences and energy.”
Legal 500 2015 EMEA – France, Private Equity
The team is mainly active in the mid-cap segment but also receives regular instructions on large-cap deals and has strong know-how in advising management. The firm has leading tax expertise.
Legal 500 2015 EMEA – France Private Equity
“Mayer Brown advises many investment funds and their portfolio companies. An indispensable actor in the mid cap market, Mayer Brown is also increasingly instructed to advise on largest transactions in the market.“
IFLR 1000 2015 – France, M&A and Private Equity
The corporate practice spans M&A, private equity and funds structuring, distressed M&A and corporate restructurings. The team however remains best known for its work in the funds space, where it excels in heavily tax structured funds, and in the private equity market.
“very good relationship [with] good technical support and strong strategic views”.
“excellent quality, responsiveness and problem solving”
Legal 500 2014 EMEA - France, Private Equity
Mayer Brown’s private equity funds practice has ‘particular strength in tax’ and is renowned for its ability to strike deals. The firm has a large and diverse client portfolio, which it advises on mid and large-cap transactions.
Chambers 2014 Asia Pacific – Real Estate Investment
“A highly regarded team with expertise across the board. Well known for major real estate development projects. Also particularly strong in the private equity sphere in this sector, advising an enviable list of international investors.”
Chambers Europe 2014 – France, Fund Formation
“Really excellent. Its capabilities in fund formation are very strong”
“We've been extremely happy on the transactions it's helped us with this year; the contact has been very proactive and commercial and the lawyers understand what is beyond the legal clauses.”
Chambers USA 2014
“They provide commerciality with a sensible legal overlay and they do it on a timely basis.”
“Very creative and flexible, they have a bias toward making things work.”
Décideurs Juridiques, a leading French publication, ranked Mayer Brown's Paris office in the fund formation category noting our “strong reputation.”
Option Finance/Droit & Affaires, 2014
Mayer Brown ranked as a “3 Star” firm as specialists of fund structuring in France. The publication noted the Mayer Brown team as “powerfully raising” and said ‘[they] are being increasingly noticed for their technicality.’”
Chambers Europe 2013
“This firm remains best known for its proficiency in the private equity arena and for advising major industrial corporations, funds and investors on M&A transactions, consortium bids and restructurings, and has substantial expertise in both domestic and cross-border M&A.”
“A team of technically strong, proactive lawyers.”