There are dozens of current examples of successful and unsuccessful joint venture initiatives in Brazil. While teaming up with a strategic partner is a fundamental step to any successful alliance, understanding the Brazilian regulatory framework and how it can accommodate any partnership—whether by local or foreign entrepreneurs—is imperative to a successful joint venture. Which are the preferred regulatory paths? Which governance hurdles need to be cleared? What are the potential conflicts, and how can they be avoided?
Please join partner Guilherme Vieira da Silva and senior associate Thais Rodrigues for this discussion on legal issues and lessons learned on forming and operating joint ventures in Brazil.
- The Brazilian legal framework and joint ventures;
- The corporate form that a joint venture can take in Brazil;
- Preferred governance structures;
- Conflict resolution mechanisms;
- Challenges with exiting a joint venture in Brazil; and
- Tax considerations.
CLE credit is pending.