"an incredibly tenacious lawyer" who is "all over the detail and completely committed to clients, and drives exceptionally high standards"Chambers UK 2019
Perry Yam is a partner in Mayer Brown’s London office and a co-leader of the global Corporate & Securities practice. He has considerable experience over 25 years across many elements of the asset class including transactions in venture and development capital, management buyouts, private company M&A as well as working with both investors, management teams and investee companies on buy-and-build strategies and exit transactions.
Perry is recognised as a leading advisor in both Chambers and Legal 500.
- Advised Patrick Drahi’s BidFair on acquisition of Sotheby’s.
- Advised Vitruvian Partners on its acquisition of, and acquisition financing in relation to, Travel Counsellors, a UK based travel agents network.
- Advised Halifax Group, a leading US based mid-market private equity firm, on the sale of the Pirtek Europe to PNC Riverarch Capital, a US-based private equity firm. Pirtek Europe is the leading on-site provider of hydraulic hose replacement and associated services across Europe.
- Mayer Brown advised London-based private equity client Stirling Square Capital Partners LLP on the acquisition of The Magnum Corporation and its subsidiaries including Caltherm Corporation in the US and Vernet SAS in France.
- Mayer Brown, together with the Italian law firm Studio Legale Galbiati, Sacchi e Associati, advised Woolrich International Limited, one of the world's leading manufacturers of outdoor lifestyle apparel, on the acquisition of a minority stake in the company by Goldwin Inc.
- Advised Vitruvian Partners and its portfolio company JAC Travel on its sale to Australian-listed travel company Webjet Limited for £200 million.
- Advised Aurelius Equity Opportunities, the equity investment entity of Aurelius Group, the pan-European asset manager, on the acquisition of leading UK online photo retailer Wex Photographic and merger with portfolio company Calumet.
- Advised H.I.G Capital, a leading global private equity investment firm, and the management team, on the sale of Fibercore Limited, a world leader in the design and manufacture of specialty optical fiber, to Humanetics Innovative Solutions, Inc., a portfolio company of Golden Gate Capital, the private equity firm based in San Francisco.
- Advised the main shareholders of OpenCloud Limited, which included private equity funds Advent Venture Partners, the New Zealand Venture Fund and Nokia, on its sale to Metaswitch Networks Limited, a leading cloud native communications software company.
- Advised Vitruvian Partners on the $215 million acquisition of OAG Aviation Holdings Limited, a global leader in aviation information and intelligence, from AXIO Data Group Limited.
- Advised private equity house FTV Capital on its investment in UK financial services integrated technology platform True Potential.
- Advised private equity house Vitruvian Partners on its acquisition of TotalStay Group.
- Advised founder and shareholders of online wine business Naked Wines, on all aspects of the sale of Naked Wines to Majestic Wines plc.
- England and Wales
- Perry Yam heads the Mayer Brown International LLP London private equity practice, and is described by one interviewee as "an incredibly tenacious lawyer" who is "all over the detail and completely committed to clients, and drives exceptionally high standards." He specialises in transactions in the mid-market, and is experienced in the representation of major European private equity houses. (Chambers UK 2019).
- Highly regarded (IFLR 1000 2019 – Private Equity).
- The private equity team attracts high praise for its "in-depth understanding of structuring private equity deals". Group head Perry Yam has been instrumental in the growth of the firm's practice, particularly in the midmarket space. He is "client-centric and savvy" (Legal 500 2018).