"excellent" and "communicative"Legal 500 2017
Ian Wright is co-head of the London Pensions practice. He advises a range of trustees, sponsoring employers and pension providers on both contentious and non-contentious matters, including investment, funding and employer covenant issues. He has particular interest in the specific impact for pension schemes of other regulatory regimes, advising clients regulated by the FSA and Ofgem. In addition, Ian has extensive experience advising sellers, purchasers and trustees on the pensions aspects of many corporate transactions.
Ian is a Fellow of the Pensions Management Institute (PMI) and was for some years Principal Examiner of the PMI’s Law and Constitution paper. He works regularly with Government departments in developing new pensions legislation (including pensions taxation and discrimination). Ian has published many articles on pensions issues and is a regular public speaker on pensions.
17 May 2011
PMI London Group Technical Seminar
11 November 2010
APL Annual Conference
The College of Law, London, Diploma in Legal Practice
City University London, Diploma in Law
University of Oxford, New College, MSt, Greek and Roman History
University of St Andrews, MA, (Hons) in Ancient History
- England and Wales
- Fellow, Pensions Management Institute
- Full member, Association of Pension Lawyers
- Principal examiner, Pensions Management Institute's Law & Constitution paper
Recommended by the legal directories,
- Ian Wright is "very knowledgeable when it comes to pensions legal matters and has the ability to find a solution to legal problems," according to a source. He advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters, with regular work on the pensions aspects of corporate transactions. (Chambers UK 2019).
- Ian Wright and Jay Doraisamy jointly head the non-contentious group of the "high-quality pensions law team" which provides "well-considered and timely advice" and is "highly responsive and thorough in its approach". (Legal 500 2018).
- "excellent" and "communicative" (Legal 500 2017).
- Ian Wright offers a niche specialism in pensions matters affecting clients - such as those in the financial services or utilities sectors - who operate under other regulatory bodies. Clients report: "He communicates exceptionally well and his advice is always very sound. He will go to whatever lengths to service us." (Chambers UK 2015).
- Ian Wright "is good at coming up with solutions rather than raising problems," says one client. Also active in the litigation sphere, his practice focuses on funding and investment matters, as well as being involved with government departments on new legislation. (Chambers UK 2015).
- "He's a joy to work with. He's a very, very bright guy." (Chambers UK 2014).
- "Thorough and professional" Ian is a "bright and articulate lawyer with the ability to express matters in straightforward terms." (Chambers UK 2013).
- "Very bright and articulate" (Legal 500 2013).
- "Incredibly good at explaining complex legal matters in layman's terms; he thinks on his feet and takes a very tense situation and calms it down" (Chambers UK 2012).
- "Adept at rising to the intellectual challenge" “good at problem solving” (Legal 500 2012).