Sam Webster is counsel in Mayer Brown's London office and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. His work focuses on corporate finance, public and private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital. Sam regularly represents clients on cross-border matters, and has experience in a number of sectors including Energy, Financial Services, Real Estate and TMT.
Sam joined Mayer Brown in 2004. He spent six months on secondment to AIG in 2008 and 16 months on secondment to Mayer Brown's association firm in Brazil, Tauil & Chequer Advogados, from 2012–2013.
- Advised British Land plc on the sale of its 50% interest in a corporate joint venture with Oxford Properties for the development and ownership of The "Cheesegrater" skyscraper in the City of London for a total sale price of £1.15 billion.
- Advised IFC on its $30 million equity investment via Private Equity funds managed by Warburg Pincus and General Atlantic in Network International, a leading provider of credit card and e-payment solutions in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Advised Village Roadshow Limited, the Australian listed media company, on its acquisition of 80% of the share capital of Opia, a leading UK-based sales promotion consultancy.
- Advised Alteri Investors, the retail-focused European private equity firm, on its management buyout of footwear brands Jones Bootmaker and Brantano.
- Advised Genel Enerji on its $4.2 billon merger with Vallares plc (now Genel Energy plc) by way of reverse takeover to create the leading independent oil and gas company in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- Advised IFC on its partial exit and rollover of its minority stake in Fawry, an Egyptian electronic payment and financial management business, to a Helios-led Private Equity consortium, valuing Fawry at $100 million.
- Advised the management team of Anite Travel Limited, the travel software subsidiary of Anite plc, on its £45 million management buyout backed by LDC.
- Advised Unilever Ventures, the captive venture capital arm of Unilever plc, on over 10 investments in the personal care and digital marketing sectors.
- Advised a large oil and gas company on its proposed acquisition of offshore oil and gas interests in Brazil from Petrobras.
- Advised Vale S.A. on the sale of its concession contract participation in an offshore block in the Espírito Santo Basin in Brazil to Statoil for $40 million.
- Advised property developer Tishman Speyer on the £170m acquisition and financing of Eland House in London from Land Securities.
- Advised Kappa Energy, Colombia's largest independent upstream oil and gas company, in relation to its sale to TSX listed Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp for $200 million.
- Advised Petroleos Delta, the leading Panamanian fuel distributor, on its acquisition of Shell’s retail assets in Panama.
- Advised GMAC Commercial Finance Ltd (UK) on the sale of its invoice financing loan book to Close Brothers Group plc for up to £98 million.
- Advised Westmont Hospitality Group on the €101m acquisition and financing of the InterContinental in Prague from Strategic Hotel & Resorts Inc.
- Advised Cambria Automobiles plc, the British auto dealer, on its admission to trading on AIM at a value of £50 million.
- Advised JP Morgan Asset Management on the sale of its subsidiary JP Morgan Invest to a management buy-out team backed by LDC, the private equity division of Lloyds Banking Group.
- Advised Herald Ventures on certain venture capital investments in the media sector.
- Advised Mellon Financial Corporation (now The Bank of New York Mellon) on the establishment, with WestLB, of a European joint venture with €40 billion of assets under management.
- Advised Thomson Reuters on its acquisition of Feri Fund Market Information Ltd and its German fund database subsidiary FI Datenservice GmBH.
- Advised Dow Chemical Company on the sale of its polymeric plasticiser business.
BPP Law School, LPC
The College of Law, PgDL
University of Newcastle, BA (Hons) English Literature
- England und Wales
- Notable practitioner (IFLR 1000 2019 - M&A).