“I wanted to send a personal thank you for the excellent support you provided to us during the last few days. This matter was complex for a number of reasons, including the fact that the employment documents appeared to be a bit mysterious! Thanks for pointing out the relevant issues, all at short notice.”A leading international bank
Hong Tran is a partner of Mayer Brown and is a Co-Firm Practice Leader of the global Employment and Benefits Group. He advises employers on compliance with employment, discrimination and privacy legislation. He also advises on strategic labour force issues including the structure of employment relationships; risk management in the employment and discrimination context; the introduction of changes to employment arrangements; the handling of union relations; and recruitment, disciplinary and termination issues. He is experienced in handling employment disputes, discrimination and privacy complaints/issues. He represents employers engaged in legal proceedings at the various court levels from the Labour Tribunal through to the Court of Final Appeal. He also advises employers in responding to investigations by the Labour Department, Equal Opportunities Commission and the Office of the Commissioner for Personal Data Privacy. Hong speaks English, Cantonese and Chiu Chow dialect.
He has been ranked as Band 1 lawyer in employment Hong Kong Law by Chambers Asia Pacific (2017-2020) and a "Leading individual" in employment law by Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015-2020). He has been recognised by Who's Who Legal (2015) as being among the world's leading lawyers for employment and labour practice in Hong Kong. He was named as one of the "pre-eminent practitioners in the world" and "one of the world's leading lawyers" by Guide to the World's Leading Labour & Employment Lawyers (2011). He was also named a Leading Asia Law Labour & Employment Lawyer by the Asia Law & Practice Survey (2008).
Hong has contributed to leading employment and discrimination law textbooks "Chitty on Contracts, Hong Kong Specific Contracts" Chapter 7, "Employment Law and Practice in Hong Kong" Chapters 3 & 5 and "Discrimination Law and Practice in Hong Kong" Chapters 4 and 7 (and Co-General Editor).
- Chiu Chow
Advised a number of major Hong Kong organisations in relation to varying the terms and conditions of employment including reducing staff salaries and benefits unilaterally.
Advised in relation to the protection of confidential information and restrictive covenants where employees terminate their employment and leave en masse to join a competitor.
Defended a major Hong Kong employer in relation to claims for breach of the Employment Ordinance.
- Advised a government organisation in relation to a disability discrimination complaint made against it to the Hong Kong Equal Opportunities Commission.
Queensland University of Technology, LLM
Queensland University of Technology, LLB
Queensland University of Technology
Bachelor of Business (Accountancy)
- Hong Kong
- Australia, Queensland
- Vice Chair of Australian Chamber of Commerce – People Forum
- Member of HR Committee of British Chamber of Commerce
- Editorial Board Member of LexisNexis Practical Guidance - Employment
- Employers' Federation of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management
- Member of Human Resources Committee of ANREV
- Cross-Boarder Human Resource (XBHR)
- Highly Commended - Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year - Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards: Asia-Pacific (2020)
- Leading Individual - Employment (Hong Kong) – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015-2020)
- Band 1 - Employment: Hong Kong Law (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2017-2020)
- Band 2 - Employment: Hong Kong Law (China) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012-2016)
- Notable Practitioner - Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2019-2021)
- Leading Lawyer – Who’s Who Legal: Labour and Employment (2015)
- Leading Lawyer – Who’s Who Legal: Pensions and Benefits (2015)
- Featured Labour and Employment Lawyer – Expert Guides (2012)
- Up and Coming - Employment: Hong Kong-based – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011)
- “[having a] strong reputation” in the market. – Chambers Asia Pacific (2020)
- "works very hard” and “very easy-going personality and easy to work with." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
- "a practical problem solver in every sense" with the ability to "think of what works not only legally, but also at a human level." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2018)
- "highly personable, knowledgeable and professional" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013)
- "One of the world's leading practitioners" - The International Who’s Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers (2013)
- “I wanted to send a personal thank you for the excellent support you provided to us during the last few days. This matter was complex for a number of reasons, including the fact that the employment documents appeared to be a bit mysterious! Thanks for pointing out the relevant issues, all at short notice.” - A leading international bank
- "I am truly grateful for Hong's approach, flexibility, amazing patience & understanding. He demonstrates professionalism, tremendous knowledge (at his fingertips), sound judgement, analytical ability and great listening skills." - International Fleet Manager for a leading international airline
- "You had given us the confidence to be able to call on you at all times and whenever we had questions and doubts, or needed reassurance." - Former Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Sino-Forest Corporation, a company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- "During the course of my 26 years of career , I have worked with many lawyers and professionals, many of which are from prominent international firms in North America, Europe and Asia, and I can truly say that you are certainly among the very few best that I have worked with and come to respect. Your commitment, professionalism, and most of all, your thoughtfulness and care for the well being of your client have meant a great deal to us." - Former Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Sino-Forest Corporation, a company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange