Jade Newburn is a leading private equity real estate lawyer in the United States, representing private equity funds, institutional owners and investors, sponsors and developers across all commercial asset classes and transaction structures. Jade particularly focuses on negotiations and structuring of joint venture relationships, borrower-side debt financing, recapitalizations, ground lease transactions, REIT share transactions, and purchases and sales of already developed and to-be-developed commercial assets - with a particular emphasis on assisting clients develop, finance, accumulate, manage and sell large portfolios within programmatic joint venture relationships. Each year, Jade represents clients on transactions with a cumulative value well into in the billions of dollars.
Jade is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, is recognized as a Recognized Practitioner by Chambers and is the Office Practice Leader for Real Estate in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office. He is a frequent author, contributor and presenter on commercial real estate topics, including PERE Magazine, Crain’s Chicago, the American College of Real Estate Lawyers and other industry events and publications.
Before joining Mayer Brown, Jade was an associate at McKinsey & Company as a strategy consultant for multinational and other US corporations.
- Represents a major US private equity real estate fund in all aspects of several programmatic joint venture relationships that acquire, finance, develop and sell portfolios of age-targeted senior housing facilities throughout the United States.
- Represents a major US private equity real estate fund in all aspects of a programmatic joint venture relationship that acquires and finances Class A medical office buildings throughout the United States.
- Represents a major US private equity real estate fund in joint venture relationships with national real estate developer partners to acquire, develop and sell billions of dollars of multi-family, industrial and self-storage assets throughout the United States.
- Represented a major US financial institution in a $400 million acquisition of Class A office building in the Chicago Central Business District.
- Served as primary outside counsel for home-building subsidiary of US private equity real estate fund.
- Represented a major US insurance company in the acquisition of a $225 million Class A office building in the Chicago Central Business District.
- Represented a major developer in the joint venture, financing and development of a high-profile mixed use development site in Chicago valued in excess of $350 million.
- Represented a major US private equity real estate fund in a $175 million recapitalization of a mixed-use asset in Virginia.
- Represented a major developer in the development of a for-profit school in Chicago.
Harvard Law School, JD, cum laude
University of Oxford, Balliol College, Second BABritish Marshall Scholar
Brown University, BA, magna cum laude
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Auxiliary Board of the Art Institute of Chicago
- British Marshall Scholarship Selection Committee
- Parish Council, Saint Clement Church, Chicago
- Assistant Boys’ Youth Baseball Coach, Hamlin Park Baseball Association, Chicago, Illinois