"a great legal mind" and "one of the smartest lawyers in the City."Chambers UK 2016
Kevin Hawken is a securitisation and structured finance partner in Mayer Brown's London office. He has represented asset originators, programme sponsors, arrangers, liquidity and credit enhancement providers, and other participants in transactions involving a wide variety of asset types and structures. His cross-border securitisation experience includes transactions backed by auto loans and other consumer receivables, residential mortgage loans, corporate bonds and other securities, credit derivatives, equipment leases, trade receivables, future export receivables, and operating company revenues from countries in Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Kevin also has experience in debt restructurings and insolvency matters involving both corporate and structured finance borrowers. He also advises financial institutions on risk-based capital requirements and other regulatory issues affecting securitisation and structured finance.
He joined Mayer Brown in 1989 and moved to the firm’s London office in 2000.
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, cum laude
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BA
- New York
- England und Wales
- International Bar Association
Consistently ranked as a key individual by the legal directories
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' "Kevin Hawken, David O'Connor and Merryn Craske are all highly responsive and effective communicators. They provide value-added and high-quality legal and regulatory analysis. They are also highly commercial." - Legal 500 2020.
- Kevin Hawken is experienced in handling cross-border securitisation, across a number of different asset types and structures. Commentators say: "Kevin is highly expert in this subject, and responds quickly, even to unreasonable deadlines." - Chambers UK 2019.
- Qualified in both English and US law, is an expert on both US and EU financial regulation affecting securitisation transactions. - Legal 500 2018.
- Kevin Hawken is known for his handling of complex cross-border securitisation transactions, frequently acting on behalf of financial institution clients. Market sources draw attention to his additional expertise in advisory work concerning the regulatory issues arising from structured finance and securitisations. - Chambers UK 2018.
- Kevin Hawken is noted for his broad experience advising on deals as well as his knowledge of the regulatory environment. A client describes him as "very easy to understand, very client-friendly, and obviously very astute and very aware, with great knowledge of the EU regulatory side." - Chambers UK 2017.
- Kevin Hawken impresses for his handling of complex securitisation matters. Sources describe him as "a great legal mind" and "one of the smartest lawyers in the City." He is also well regarded for his knowledge of regulatory issues - Chambers UK 2016.
- Kevin Hawken has the respect of the market for his regulatory expertise on securitisation and structured finance matters, and has particular skill in advising on the impact of US regulation on European institutions. Sources describe him as a "very experienced lawyer" who is "top for regulation." - Chambers UK 2015.
- Kevin Hawken is noted for his "good advice, clear expertise and commercial sense"- Legal 500 2014.
- Kevin is "extremely knowledgeable, deeply committed and extraordinarily hard-working," according to commentators, who also note that he is "really at the forefront of a lot of the regulatory issues." Interviewees admire that "he definitely knows how to get his hands dirty in deals." - Chambers 2014.
- He is "diligent and thorough in guiding first-time deals in new jurisdictions" - Legal 500 2013.
- Up and coming - Corporate/M&A - Chambers Asia Pacific (2013).
- Up and Coming - Projects, Infrastructure & Energy- Chambers Asia Pacific (2013).
- "clear, confident and knowledgeable.'" - Chambers Asia Pacific (2013).
- "easy to interact with"- Chambers Asia Pacific (2013).
- “highly regarded” - The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013).
- He is "one of the most experienced securitisation lawyers in the market," acknowledge clients. "Thorough and detail-oriented, I have complete confidence that he won't miss any tricks at all" - Chambers UK 2012.
- "excellent to deal with"- Chambers UK 2011.
- "has a wealth of experience, is sensible, and just gets on with things" - Chambers UK 2009.
- he is "a calm, knowledgeable and confident adviser always on top of all issues" - Chambers UK 2007.