Vilmar Luiz Graça Gonçalves is a partner in the Environmental, Arbitration and Litigation practices of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in the Rio de Janeiro office. Vilmar focuses his practice on environmental law, particularly on legal and administrative proceedings involving solid waste and shipping oil companies. He has experience on legal proceedings concerning individual or collective disputes, representing, in particular, energy and telecom companies.
Before joining Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown, Vilmar was a partner at Bessa, Homem de Carvalho & Gonçalves Sociedade de Advogados (2003-2014) and worked as General Counsel of the American Chamber of Commerce of Rio de Janeiro.
He was elected as the First Vice-President of Brazilian Center of Mediation and Arbitration – BCMA for the mandate of 2014/2017 and currently he is the Director of Arbitration (mandate 2017-2020). Coauthor of the book “Teoria e Prática do Mandado de Segurança”. Elected member of the Arbitration Commission of the Brazilian Bar Association – Rio de Janeiro section – biennium 2019/2021.
- Acts as lawyer for one of the largest shipping companies of oil in the world (Petrobras Transporte S/A - TRANSPETRO) on environmental legal issues.
- Acts as lawyer for gas distribution company (Petrobras Gás – S/A – GASPETRO) on environmental legal issues.
- Acted as head of the Legal Department of the American Chamber of Commerce of Rio de Janeiro.
- Acted as lawyer of solid waste company (Trusher Serviços de Esterilização Ltda.) on litigation matters and environmental legal issues.
- He worked on legal and environmental audit for one of the largest telecommunications companies, worldwide (Globo Comunicação e Participações S/A).
- Acted as lawyer for an electricity transmission company (Elecnor Transmissão de Energia S/A) on litigation matters and environmental legal issues.
- Represented one of the most recognized electricity company in arbitration concerning the transference of a sales contract.
- Represented one of the most recognized company in electricity sales in arbitration concerning the transference of a sales contract.
- Represented one of the most recognized company of stainless steel in arbitration concerning the transference of a sales contract for electricity.
Universidade Gama Filho - UGF/RJ, LLM in Public Law
Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF), Administrative Law
Escola da Magistratura do Estado do Rio de Janeiro – EMERJ, Consumer Law
Universidade Veiga de Almeida - UVA/RJ, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- First Vice-President of Brazilian Centre of Mediation and Arbitration – BCMA (2014-2017)
- Membership of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – CIArb (2017-2020)
- General Counsel of the Chamber of Commerce of Rio de Janeiro - ACRio
- Member of the Arbitration Commission of the Brazilian Bar Association - Rio de Janeiro section (2019-2021)