“provides a ‘very good level of service’, ‘business knowledge’, ‘team work’ and ‘value for money’”The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
Rod Brown is a partner in Mayer Brown's Corporate and Securities practices and is based in the Singapore office.
Rod’s practice covers mergers and acquisitions, private equity and investment fund transactions, joint ventures and general corporate matters across a variety of sectors in South East Asia and India. Prior to moving to Singapore in 2012, Rod qualified as a lawyer in London and worked on multiple cross-border public and private mergers and acquisitions, general corporate matters and restructurings involving US, European and Asian clients. He also advised a number of charities pro bono on a broad range of issues.
He has represented a wide range of clients in Asia including multinational public and private companies, private equity, venture capital and investment funds, start-ups and conglomerates. He has had considerable experience in the energy and natural resources, TMT and manufacturing and retail sectors. He has also published a number of articles on investing in South East Asia and spoken at a number of events across the region. He currently sits on Mayer Brown’s Pro Bono Committee for Asia.
- Advised Nestlé S.A. in relation to its exit from PT Nestlé Indofood Citarasa Indonesia (NICI), a joint venture with PT Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur Tbk (Indofood), including the disposal of its 50% stake in NICI to Indofood.
- Advised CT Corp in relation to its sale of a 49 percent stake in its life insurance business to Prudential Financial, establishing a significant joint venture in the life insurance business in Indonesia.
- Advised an Indonesian conglomerate in relation to the partial sale of its retail division and joint venture arrangements with a Singaporean institutional investor.
- Advised a US manufacturing company on its proposed joint venture with an Indian battery manufacturer.
- Advised an Asian based private equity fund in relation to its participation in an auction to acquire significant Philippine manufacturing assets from a European seller.
- Advised a global distributor of mobile phones and accessories on its acquisition of 51 percent of a subsidiary of an international Indian telecoms company and the related shareholders' agreement.
- Advised a private equity fund on its acquisition of an interest in a drinks manufacturing company in Myanmar.
- Advised a leading, national oil company in Asia on its refinery redevelopment plan and its acquisition of various interests in Iraq.
- Advised a US based private equity fund in the acquisition of a majority stake in an international private members' club.
- Advised a private equity backed joint venture on its disposal program of various four and five star hotels which has included acting on over 20 hotel share and asset sales globally.
The College of Law, London, LPC
The College of Law, London, CPE
University of Exeter, BA (Hons)
- England und Wales
- Notable Practitioner - Mergers and Acquisitions, Singapore – IFLR1000 (2019, 2020)
- Notable Practitioner - Private Equity, Singapore – IFLR1000 (2019, 2020)