Valentine Bleicher is an associate in the Chicago office of Mayer Brown and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. Valentine concentrates her practice on complex business transactions. She advises US, French and other international publicly traded and private companies and financial sponsors and their portfolio companies on a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactional matters, including mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, strategically targeted equity investments, restructurings, joint ventures and strategic alliances, and general corporate counseling. Her practice covers a wide variety of industries, including the financial services, energy and utilities, manufacturing and industrial equipment, healthcare and life sciences, and consumer goods and retail industries.
Valentine won Mayer Brown’s Lawyer – Associate of the Year 2019 award for her pro bono work. She has represented inmates in prisoner's civil rights matters through the Settlement Assistance Project, worked on the Election Protection Hotline, and led the Firm's cross-practice, cross-office team representing ARZU Studio Hope, a women empowerment not-for-profit organization in the US and an international NGO in Afghanistan, in its asset divestiture to Turquoise Mountain, a UK NGO founded by HRH The Prince of Wales.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2015, Valentine worked as an associate in the Paris office of a Magic Circle law firm for three years.
Valentine serves as co-chair of Mayer Brown's US Women Forum. Valentine also serves with the Sciences Po American Foundation as the board of directors liaison for the Chicago and Midwest community, and serves on the Chicago Bureau of the AAGEF (French Grandes Ecoles Alumni Association).
Financial Services and Financial Institutions M&A
- Represented La Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), an institutional investor, in its acquisition of a 27% stake in Hilco Global, an independent financial services group
- Represented Assured Guaranty Ltd. (NYSE: AGO):
- in its acquisition of a minority interest in Wasmer, Schroeder & Company, an independent investment advisory firm specializing in separately managed account management
- in its $347 million acquisition of MBIA UK Insurance Limited, the European operating subsidiary of the US financial services company MBIA Corp.
- in its $450 million acquisition of CIFG Holding Inc., the parent of financial guaranty insurer CIFG Assurance North America, Inc.
Energy and Utilities
- Represented Dutch pension fund manager PGGM:
- in its $601 million acquisition of a 20% minority stake in SUEZ Water Resources Inc., a subsidiary of French public company SUEZ S.A. (Euronext: SEV, CAC Next 20 Component), specializing in the water and waste cycle management business in the Northeast region of the US
- in its 10% minority investment in Puget Sound Energy, a Washington state energy utility providing electrical power and natural gas primarily in the northwest region of the US
- Represented TC Energy (f/k/a TransCanada) (TSX, NYSE and S&P/TSX 60 component: TRP):
- in the divestiture of its U.S. retail power marketing business to EDF Energy Services, LLC, a subsidiary of the French public company EDF S.A. (Euronext: EDF, CAC Next 20 Component)
- in the divestiture of its New England hydroelectric power portfolio to an affiliate of ArcLight Capital Partners
- in its $13 billion acquisition of Columbia Pipeline Group, Inc., a Texas-based company that operates interstate natural gas pipelines extending from New York to the Gulf of Mexico
- Represented the senior creditors' committee in the lender-led €1.8 billion debt restructuring of the French utilities group SAUR*
Manufacturing and Industrial Equipment
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its add-on acquisition of a company in the electronic material and equipment industry for $35 million
- Represented Ryerson Holding Corporation (NYSE: RYI):
- in its stock acquisition of Fanello Industries, a metal processor and service provider company
- in its stock acquisition of the Laserflex Corporation, a full-service precision metal fabricator specializing in laser material processing technology
- Represented Generac Holdings Inc. (NYSE: GNRC) in its acquisition of a majority stake in the Italian-based Pramac group, a leading manufacturer of stationary and mobile generators
- Represented Ascometal, a French specialty steelmaker, in its bankruptcy proceeding*
- Represented ARZU Studio Hope, a women empowerment not-for-profit organization in the US and an international NGO in Afghanistan operating as a “for-benefit” corporation creating jobs for women in rural villages in Afghanistan and producing ethically hand-knotted rugs, in its asset divestiture to Turquoise Mountain, a UK NGO founded by His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales
- Represented Rose Packing in its asset divestiture to OSI Group, a global food processor and distributor
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its acquisition of a company in the consumer products industry for approximately $175 million
- Represented a US publicly-held company in the global outsourcing of its back office supply chain support services and the related divestiture of its intellectual property assets in the foods industry for approximately $160 million
- Represented a large healthcare medical billing and coding company in its acquisition of a US-India healthcare analytics company
- Represented European private equity firm Cinven in its agreement to acquire Labco, one of the largest European operators of medical diagnostic laboratories, for an enterprise value of €1.2 billion *
- Represented the management of Idemia in its €2.4 billion acquisition of Safran Identity & Security and Morpho USA Inc., with regard to the corporate, structuring and financing aspects of their management package
- Represented The Chicago Community Trust in its acquisition of the website www.chicago.com
* Representation while at a prior firm.
New York University School of Law, LLM
Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), MA
Vice President, Sciences Po Law School Society (AJSP)
Universität Paris X, JD, magna cum laude
- New York
- Not admitted in Illinois. Practicing under the supervision of firm principals.