Our Middle East corporate and commercial practice is a multifaceted transactional practice that is focused on legal matters directed towards and emanating from the Middle East, with a particular emphasis on Gulf Cooperation Council countries such as the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. In this regard, we work across a variety of issues and industries to provide effective and efficient advice to our clients within the region and beyond.
From Dubai to Washington DC, and points in between, we handle a broad spectrum of sophisticated corporate and commercial matters such as bilateral and multilateral joint ventures, cross-border mergers and acquisitions and major investments, as well as an array of commercial arrangements and alliances. We also seek to provide practical solutions for all manner of client issues and concerns related to the expansion or contraction of our clients’ businesses in the region.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented MAG Group in the divestiture of a large real estate development in Dubai to a private equity firm.
- Represented Donaldson Company (US publicly traded) on a large acquisition of an Abu Dhabi based filter manufacturing company.
- Represented BR Foods (Brazilian publicly traded) on an acquisition of a significant interest in Federal Foods LLC, the largest food distribution company in the UAE.
- Represented Abraaj Capital (largest private equity firm in the Middle East) in its acquisition of the 30% stock of the National Flight Services Company (Saudi Arabian publicly traded).
- Represented NBK Capital (a Middle Eastern private equity firm) in its acquisition of a controlling stake in Nayifat Installment Company (a Saudi Arabian wholesaler and retail trader of vehicles, home and office furniture and building materials).
- Represented Masdar Capital, a Mubadala company, in a venture capital investment into a US-based early stage specialty chemicals company.
- Represented EQT in a large private equity acquisition of a UAE target.
Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
- Advised Abercrombie & Fitch on significant joint ventures in the UAE and Kuwait.
- Represented Saudi Binladen Group, Porr and HBK in a large consortium and joint venture in Qatar in connection with the more than US$2.2 billion Qatar Integrated Railway Project.
- Represented Rockwell Collins (US publicly traded) on an offset related joint venture with an affiliated entity of Mubadala.
- Represented Louis Vuitton and Fendi on two separate GCC-wide joint ventures with the Chalhoub Group.
- Represented Chemtura Corporation in its joint venture arrangements with Zamil Group Holding Company (a publicly traded Saudi Arabian corporation) and a European petrochemical company.
- Represented John Buck Company in an international Abu Dhabi-based joint venture with a Mubadala government-owned real estate development organization for the cooperative pursuit of real estate opportunities related to a US$100 billion urban development project.
- Represented Tristar, Dutco and the Omani Investment Fund in a large joint venture for the manufacture of antimony ores in Oman.
- Represented National Holding in a strategic joint venture with a leading Spanish eye care company for the creation of a leading eye care hospital in Abu Dhabi
Foreign Direct Investment
- Advised AT Kearney on entry into the Saudi Arabian market as well as corporate and dispute matters.
- Advised Apple Inc. on the set up of their Apple entities and stores across the UAE and advised on all local law/regulatory matters in the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
- Advised Edelman on the formation of operating entities throughout the Middle East and on a joint venture with a Dubai-based PR practice.
- Represented Hilti AG on the restructuring of its business across the UAE.
- Represented Lockheed Martin on a procurement project for Qatar, on an offset project for Saudi Arabia and on entity establishment across the UAE.
- Represented Middle East Broadcast Networks on the establishment of operations in the Middle East, including corporate, regulatory, employment and tax matters pertaining to starting, acquiring and/or partnering with broadcast companies in Beirut, Cairo, Jerusalem and Dubai, as well as restructuring its operations in Morocco.
- Advised AAR Corp onasignificantcommercial agreement with a publicly traded Saudi Arabian corporation.
- Represented California Garden, a California- based consumer food productscompany, on the negotiation and implementation of adistribution arrangement in the Middle East.
- Represented General Mills on accessing its agency and distributorship arrangements across 15 jurisdictions in the Middle East and on the termination of certain registered agencies.
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company on the termination of its registered agent in the UAE before the Ministry of Economy and before UAE courts.
- Represented a Chinese auto manufacturer with respecttothetermination of a registered agent in the UAE and the negotiation of a replacement agent.
- Represented a large US electronics manufac- turer on a variety of corporate and commercial matters and agreements relating to the Middle East, including the termination of several regis- tered and non-registered agents and distributors across the GCC.