Mayer Brown is one of the most active international law firms in Latin America and the Caribbean, providing clients experienced legal advice across the region in primary areas of banking and finance, project development and finance, capital markets and corporate transactions, as well as in cross-border arbitrations and legal disputes.
As one of the first international law firms to service client interests in Latin America and the Caribbean, Mayer Brown now has a dedicated local Mexico City office, as well as the ability to provide advice on local Brazilian law issues through our association firm in Brazil, Tauil & Chequer Advogados (T&C), which has offices in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia. Over the past decade, we have completed hundreds of transactions in Latin America and the Caribbean, many of these first-of-kind or award winning deals .
The strength of our practice is having a dedicated team of mostly bilingual or trilingual lawyers that fully understand the legal and political challenges within the local landscapes and have the cultural and business skills to work effectively in the region. Our clients include US, European and Asian companies and financial institutions with business interests in the region, as well as a wide range of corporations and financial institutions headquartered in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Latin America & the Caribbean team at Mayer Brown has consistently and successfully represented clients with interests in this region because we understand how to approach its diversity. In addition to our legal skills, we understand the legal and political challenges within the local landscapes and have the cultural and linguistic skills to work effectively in this context. To illustrate the breadth of our experience, we provide here representative examples of our work.
Banking and Finance
- AlphaCredit. Represented a pension fund, as lead lender, in connection with a secured syndicated term loan to AlphaCredit, a Mexican payroll deduction lender.
- AN Global. Represented Mexico City-headquartered AN Global, an integrated information technology service provider, in connection with a US$80 million financing to acquire Georgia-based 4th Source, Inc.
- Linzor Capital Partners’ Acquisition. Represented Goldman Sachs Bank in a US$363 million bridge loan MXN$8.5 billion Mexican Peso-denominated bridge loan to special purpose Mexican trusts as borrowers for the acquisition of General Electric’s equipment lending and leasing business in Mexico.
- State of Rio de Janeiro. Represented BNP Paribas in a loan of nearly US$1 billion to the State of Rio de Janeiro guaranteed by the federal government of Brazil.
- Empresas Públicas de Medellín. Represented Empresas Publicas de Medellin (EPM), a multinational utilities company and the leading multi-utility services company in Colombia, in securing approval for a line of credit totaling US$750 million with HSBC.
- Otay-Tijuana. Represented Otay-Tijuana Venture, L.L.C. on the refinancing of an existing facility increased to US$90 million entered into with Banorte, which operates a pedestrian bridge connecting Tijuana International Airport with a terminal in San Diego.
- Naranjal and Del Litoral Solar Power Plants. Represented the note purchasers in the placement of US$103 million senior, secured notes and US$11.5 million subordinated, secured notes in the refinancing of the Naranjal and Del Litoral Solar power plants in Uruguay. This project is green bond certified by Moody’s and was named Latin America: Structured Bond Deal of the Year 2019 by Bonds & Loans Latin America.
- Celeo Redes Operación. Represented Celeo Redes Operación Chile S.A. in connection with the issuance of dollar-denominated and local currency-denominated notes to finance electricity transmission projects and circuit lines, either in operation or under construction. Named Latin America Refinancing Deal of the Year 2017 by IJ Global, Best Power Financing, Best Bond and Best Infrastructure Financing (Andes), LatinFinance 2017.
- SANEPAR IPO. Represented the issuer of 19 million units of Companhia de Saneamento do Paraná – SANEPAR at R$55.20/share to the public and qualified institutional investors in Brazil, qualified institutional buyers in the United States, and other investors outside the United States and Brazil.
- Banco Inter SA IPO. Advised the underwriters Banco Bradesco BBI S.A.; Citigroup Global Markets Brasil; Corretora de Câmbio, Títulos e Valores Mobiliários S.A.; Banco Morgan Stanley S.A.; BB-Banco de Investimento S.A., Bradesco Securities, Inc.; Citigroup Global Markets Inc.; Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC; Banco do Brasil Securities LLC and Nomura Securities International, Inc.
- Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. Advised Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation in a $115 Million Notes offering by NR Finance México, which provides credit loans to customers for purchasing Nissan and Renault automobiles in Mexico.
- Compañia Minera Teck Quebrada Blanca. Represented Sumitomo Metal Mining, Co. Ltd. on the acquisition of a 30 percent indirect interest in Compañia Minera Teck Quebrada Blanca S.A., which owns the Quebrada Blanca Phase 2 (QB2) project, from Teck Resources Limited for $1.2 billion.
- Arroyo Energy. Represented Arroyo Energy Investors on the purchase of The Pattern Energy Group LP and Pattern Energy Group Inc. of their renewable energy project portfolio in Chile.
- Ecopetrol. Represented Ecopetrol America Inc., in the acquisition of an interest in the K2 Field in the US Gulf of Mexico from MCX Gulf of Mexico LLC, a subsidiary of Mitsubishi.
- Empresa Nacional de Petróleo (ENAP). Represented Empresa Nacional del Petróleo (ENAP), the state-owned oil company of Chile, in its agreement with ConocoPhillips for the exploration and production of unconventional gas in the southern Magallanes region of Chile.
- Colbun, S.A. Represented Chilean electric generation company Colbun, S.A. in the purchase of LNG to be regasified at the Quintero terminal, in Chile.
- Porto de Sergipe I LNG-to-Power Complex. Represented GE Capital in its agreement with Centrais Elétricas de Sergipe to provide credit support on the Porto de Sergipe I Thermoelectric Complex Project. Named Latin American Power Deal of the Year 2018 by IJ Global, Best Bond and Best Infrastructure Financing: Brazil, 2018 LatinFinance and Latin America: Project Finance Deal of the Year 2019 by Bonds & Loans Latin America.
- Spence Mine/Mejillones Port Desalination Plant. Represented the owner of the Spence copper mine in Chile, in connection with the design, financing, construction, operation, maintenance and transfer of a desalination plant and associated facilities by a sponsor consortium as part of the Spence Growth Options (SGO) Project. Latin American Water Deal of the Year 2018 by IJ Global.
- Bermuda Airport. We represented the noteholders as investors on the private placement of US$285 million senior secured notes due 2042 issued by Bermuda Skyport Corporation Limited, the operator of the L.F. Wade International Airport in Bermuda. Named North America Airport Deal of the Year 2017 by IJ Global.
- Campo Palomas. Represented a group of leading U.S. institutional investors as noteholders in connection with the 4(a)(2) private placement by Campo Palomas Finance to refinance the 70 MW Campo Palomas wind farm and associated transmission line infrastructure in Uruguay. Named 2017 Project Finance Deal of the Year, Bonds & Loans Latin America.
- Kingston Container Terminal. Represented the Port Authority of Jamaica on expansion of the Kingston Container Terminal in Kingston, Jamaica. Named North America Port Deal of the Year 2016, IJ Global and Best Port Financing, LatinFinance 2017.
- Aruba Green Corridor. Acted as sponsor’s counsel to Grupo Odinsa S.A., a Colombian infrastructure and construction company, on the Aruba Green Corridor availability payment road project, the first ever public-private-partnership financing completed in Aruba and one of the first in the Caribbean. Named Best Infrastructure Financing: Caribbean 2016 by LatinFinance and is a finalist for Best Road/Bridge/Tunnel Project to be awarded by P3 Bulletin.
Chambers Latin America 2019
Banking & Finance in Latin America-wide
Energy & Natural Resources in Latin America-wide
Projects in Latin America-wide
Banking & Finance in Brazil*
Capital Markets in Brazil*
Corporate/M&A in Brazil*
Projects in Brazil*
Latinvex Top Law Firms 2020
Mining – Top 5
Project Finance – Top 10
Energy – Top 10
Legal 500 Latin America 2019
Banking and Finance
Projects and Energy
Latin Lawyer 250 2019
Project finance & infrastructure
Banking & finance
Corporate and M&A
Deals of the Year
- TAG Pipeline (Brazil)–Oil & Gas Financing of the Year 2019 by LatinFinance.
- Bioceanico Highway (Paraguay)–Bond of the Year 2019 by LatinFinance.
- Naranjal and Del Litoral Solar Power Plants (Uruguay)–Latin America: Structured Bond Deal of the Year 2019 by Bonds & Loans Latin America.
- Centrais Elétricas de Sergipe (Brazil)—Best Bond and Best Infrastructure Financing (Brazil), LatinFinance 2018 and IJ Global “Latin American Power Deal of the Year” 2018.
- Celeo Redes Operación (Chile)—Best Power Financing, Best Bond and Best Infrastructure Financing (Andes) LatinFinance 2017.
- Kingston Container Terminal Expansion (Jamaica)—North America Port Deal of the Year 2016, IJ Global and Best Port Financing, LatinFinance 2017.
- Bermuda Airport–North America Airport Deal of the Year 2017 by IJ Global.
- Campo Palomas (Uruguay)–2017 Project Finance Deal of the Year, Bonds & Loans Latin America.
- Aruba Green Corridor--Best Infrastructure Financing: Caribbean 2016 by LatinFinance.
- Rutas de Lima Toll Road (Peru)–Best Local Currency Financing; Best Road Financing; and Best Infrastructure Financing (Andes), LatinFinance 2015 and 2014 PPP Deal of the Year by World Finance magazine.
- Parque Eólico Marcona/Tres Hermanas (Peru)–Best Renewable Energy Financing, LatinFinance 2015.
- ACI Airport SudAmérica (Uruguay)–Best Airport Financing, LatinFinance 2015.
- Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde (Peru)–Best Mining Financing: Best Loan 2014 by LatinFinance magazine.
- Abengoa Transmisión Sur (Peru)–Latin American Transmission Deal of the Year2014.
- Orosí Wind Farm (Costa Rica)–Latin America Wind Deal of the Year 2013 by Project Finance magazine.
- Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport (Puerto Rico)–North America Transport Deal of the Year 2013 by Project Finance magazine.
- Oaxaca II and Oaxaca IV Wind Farms (Mexico)–Latin American Project Bond Deal of the Year 2012
- Via Parque Rimac toll road (Peru)—Latin American PPP (Public-Private Partnership) Deal of the Year 2012
- Huascacocha Water Infrastructure (Peru)—Latin America Water Deal of the Year 2010 & Project Finance Deal of the Year 2011.
- Nuevo Pemex (Mexico)—Latin America Power Deal of the Year 2010 & Latin America Deal of the Year 2010.
- Boleo (Mexico)–‘Latin America Mining Deal of the Year 2010’ Project Finance International & ‘Exploration and Development Funding Award 2010’ Mining Journal Awards.
- Baja (Mexico)–‘Exploration and Development Funding Award’ Mining Journal Awards 2010.
- Odebrecht Drill Ships (Brazil)—Americas Deal of the Year 2009 & Best Project Finance Deal 2009
- São Paulo Rodoanel (Brazil)—Transport Deal of the Year 2009.
*Through Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown