Indonesia is one of the world’s leading emerging market economies, and Mayer Brown has advised on many transactions that have contributed to the country’s success story.
With a history of representing both domestic and international clients on Indonesian matters, Mayer Brown knows how to bring transactions to successful completion in the region. Our services include advising clients on a full range of transactions—including M&A capital markets projects and project finance, tax and tax structuring, international trade, construction and restructuring—as well as helping to resolve disputes.
- Advised CT Corp in relation to various matters including its disposal of a 49 percent stake in its wholly owned life insurance to Prudential Financial to establish a joint venture in the life insurance business in Indonesia.
- Advised a member of the World Bank Group as a direct lender and B-loan arranger on the US$830 million PAU ammonia plant project in Sulawesi (Petrochemical Deal of the Year 2016, IJGlobal Awards; Project Finance Deal of the Year 2016, The Asian Lawyer Awards; and Asia Pacific Petrochemical Deal of the Year 2014, Project Finance International Awards).
- Advised a leading integrated Indonesian energy group on its recent issuance of US$265 million 6.875% senior notes due 2022.
- Advised a leading integrated Indonesian energy group and its subsidiary on the offering of US$230 million worth of senior notes due 2016, including high-yield covenants, pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S.
- Advised a real estate company in Indonesia on a US$180 million real estate office development project in Jakarta.
- Advised the receivers appointed by the Hong Kong Secretary for Justice over securities, cash and other investment products following the failure and subsequent government bailout of the Indonesian bank Bank Century.
- Advised a Northeast Asian contractor on over US$1.5 billion in claims arising out of a series of Indonesian joint venture and project development disputes. The case involved a number of Indonesian courts as well as the commercial court for PKPU proceedings, criminal investigations and arbitrations.
- Successfully assisted a Japanese carmaker in ascertaining the approach of the Indonesian competition authority with regard to the client’s possible presence on the authority’s "watchlist."
- Advised a member of the World Bank Group on a loan facility to PT Sentosasegara Mulia Shipping and PT Wintermar to finance the acquisition of six vessels as part of PT Wintermar’s expanding offshore oil and gas exploration and production activities.
- Advised the sponsors in connection with the US$2.5 billion large thermal power project in Indonesia (Asia Pacific Deal of the Year, 1995 and Restructuring Deal of the Year 2003, Project Finance Magazine).
- Advised the sponsors in connection with the US$1.7 billion large thermal power project in Indonesia (Asia Pacific Restructuring Deal of the Year 2003, Project Finance Magazine); and the US$1.2 billion Paiton III power project (Asia Project Finance Deal of the Year 2010, IFLR).