Our Integrated Team
Mayer Brown’s Private Equity, Funds & Investment Management practice includes a global Private Equity team spread across four continents, covering the Americas, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. The Private Equity team at Mayer Brown is recognized as a leading practice in a number of fields and jurisdictions and the firm has been ranked for several years among the very best by Legal 500 and Chambers.
We pride ourselves on forging long-term relationships with private equity sponsors and venture capital firms that begins with fund formation and continues throughout their investment activities and exit strategies. We make the effort to understand our private equity clients’ businesses and investment objectives, and include lawyers with industry-specific experience on our deal teams, so that we can tailor pragmatic and innovative solutions to complex problems. Experienced tax lawyers are a permanent part of our transaction team and ensure that the investment structure chosen meets the specific needs of our clients.
Our international Private Equity team offers a one-stop shop covering all relevant aspects of private equity transactions. We have extensive experience in structuring, preparing, managing and executing transactions across the asset class, as well as assisting on any related financing. We also advise on related structural, tax, warranty insurance and ancillary legal issues, as well as fund structuring. Our private equity lawyers leverage our firm’s deep practice groups to serve our private equity clients, including our extensive experience in mergers & acquisitions, finance, ERISA, real estate, IP, securitization, environmental law, bankruptcy/restructuring and other practice areas.
Mayer Brown is a leading global law firm working with various types of different private equity funds and their sponsors, regardless of the geographic or investment focus, including infrastructure funds, pledge funds, venture capital funds, captive funds, funds of funds, secondary funds and debt and mezzanine funds. Our private equity team draws upon our industry experience to assist clients, including infrastructure, automotive, technology, life sciences, health care, food and beverage, chemicals, consumer products, energy, real estate, franchising, communications, insurance, manufacturing, distribution, telecommunications and business and financial services. We also advise lenders and other financial institutions involved in private equity transactions in connection with leveraged acquisitions, as well as management teams.
Our advice extends to all stages of the private equity life cycle:
- Fund formation & structuring
- Regulatory & tax
- Fund management
- Fiscal compliance
- Acquisition finance
- Due diligence
- M&A: buyouts, minority stakes, LBOs, MBOs, public-to-private, public takeovers
- Antitrust & compliance
- Management package
- Monitoring: tax, employment, corporate/commercial
- Restructuring & refinancing
- Shareholder rights
- Dispute resolution
- Auction sales, IPO, or dual track process
- Preparations for sale
Select private equity representations include:
- Aurelius Equity Opportunities. Advised Aurelius Equity Opportunities, the private equity investment entity of Aurelius Group, the pan-European asset manager, on the acquisition of leading UK online photo retailer Wex Photographic.
- BlueGem Capital Partners. Advised on its accepted offer to acquire the DMC SAS group, the world-leading embroidery thread manufacturer.
- Bozano Private Equity Gestão Ltda. Advised Bozano Private Equity Gestão Ltda, a private equity manager of Bozano group, in the formation of a joint venture with an investment vehicle of Mr. Elie Horn (Cyrela) that will focus on investing, directly or through its subsidiaries, in the Brazilian healthcare sector.
- Chequers Capital. Advised on the disposal of its stake in Provalliance SAS, a hair salon operator in France, to JCRT Investissements, a holding company held by the founding family.
- Francisco Partners. Advised Francisco Partners, a leading global private equity firm, on the acquisition of ByBox, the international software and supply chain management company.
- H.I.G. Capital. Advised H.I.G. Capital, a leading global private equity investment firm, and the management team, on the sale of Fibercore Limited, a world leader in the design and manufacture of specialty optical fiber, to Humanetics Innovative Solutions, Inc., a portfolio company of Golden Gate Capital, the private equity firm based in San Francisco.
- Sensus, The Jordan Company and Goldman Sachs Private Equity Group. Advised Sensus, a global leader in smart meters, network technologies and advanced data analytics solutions for the water industry, The Jordan Company and Goldman Sachs Private Equity Group in Sensus’ sale to Xylem Inc. for $1.7 billion.
- Steadfast Capital Fund III, L.P. Advised Steadfast Capital Fund III, L.P., a German private equity fund, on the acquisition of the majority stakes in Reutter GmbH, the Germany-based manufacturer of caps and selective catalytic reduction filling systems for commercial vehicles and passenger cars, and ITIB S.r.l., the Italy-based manufacturer of thermoplastic corrugated flexible pipes and 3D-plastic blow moulded items for the automotive and white goods markets, from Fortas AG.
- TPG Capital. Advised TPG Capital on its proposed acquisition of a majority stake in Vietnam Australia International School (VAS) and post-closing shareholder arrangements. VAS is a private school group with more than 6,300 students at seven campuses in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Vitruvian Partners. Advised European private equity firm, Vitruvian Partners, on the acquisition through a secondary buyout of UK-based travel agents network Travel Counsellors from private equity house Equistone Partners.
- Vitruvian Partners. Advised European private equity firm, Vitruvian Partners, on the purchase of OAG Aviation Holdings Limited from AXIO Group, the portfolio company owned by Epiris Managers LLP, for approximately $215 million.
- Vitruvian Partners. Advised Vitruvian Partners and its portfolio company JAC Travel on its sale to Australian-listed travel company Webjet Limited for £200 million.
Shortlisted: Pan-European Legal Advisor of the Year – The Private Equity Awards 2020
“‘Excellent service’ is combined with ‘the hunger, ambition, and hustle that magic circle firms or larger global firms often lack.’” – The Legal 500 UK 2020 (Private Equity)
“‘What makes this firm different is its offering of partner-led advice supported by a strong junior team and international presence through its own offices, rather than through relationships with other firms.’” – The Legal 500 UK 2020 (Private Equity)
“Expert private equity practice handling various types of matters such as mid-market and high-end transactions, financing and LBOs…Works in collaboration with the firm's finance and tax departments to offer a full range of services to private equity funds. Well placed to handle cross-border transactions.” – Chambers Europe 2020 (France, Private Equity)
“International firm popular with private equity funds and their portfolio companies for advice on acquisitions and disposals. One client praises the team for its ‘very helpful, insightful and practical advice,’ adding: ‘They are very responsive, diligent and timely.’” – Chambers Europe 2020 (Germany, M&A)
“They guided our deal team through a complex multi-jurisdictional deal. They were able to quickly understand our business case and ensure the legal position was explained to us clearly. They were very strong in helping defend our negotiating positions when required.” – IFLR1000 2020 (Hong Kong, Private Equity)
“Whenever we need legal advice in Hong Kong, China, Europe and USA, Mayer Brown can always find the right person to deal with us professionally. We will definitely continue working with Mayer Brown in future.” – IFLR1000 2020 (Hong Kong, M&A)
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020 notes our M&A team is “very experienced, wise, commercially sensible and international, yet still knowledgeable of the local market and laws” and “has a very strong springboard out of Hong Kong, a strong panel and full-coverage legal services.”
“The work has always been rock solid and the team is well coordinated, on time and responsive, as situations always seem to be time-pressured and fast-moving,” reports a source. A client commends the team's ability to “understand extremely complex aspects of our business quickly and generate novel solutions to commercial issues.” – Chambers USA 2020 (Corporate/Private Equity)
Described by clients as “Commercial, technically strong [with the] ability to hit very tight deadlines.” – IFLR1000 2020 (UK) Private Equity
“‘The team is very strong in mid-market deals, with a strong commercial focus.’” – Legal 500 UK 2020 (Private Equity)
Shortlisted: Law Firm of the Year – Transactions – British Private Equity Awards 2019
Finalist: “Private Equity Law Firm of the Year” - 2018 IFLR Americas Awards
IFLR1000 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Ranked for Private Equity - Hong Kong
LEGAL 500 UK 2018
“Mayer Brown International LLP's team attracts high praise for its ‘in-depth understanding of structuring private equity deals.’”