Mayer Brown’s Real Estate Capital Markets practice provides advisory services to a wide range of companies engaged in the real estate industry, including public and private equity REITs, mortgage REITs, public and private partnerships, financial advisers and intermediaries, pension funds and other institutional investors. The diversity of our experience spans the globe and has included work on nearly every asset class, including industrial properties, major shopping malls, multifamily residential properties, hotels and motels, health care facilities, as well as office properties.
We also represent our REIT and other real estate clients in major corporate acquisitions, mergers and restructurings, as well as in large portfolio transactions, individual property acquisitions and dispositions, and joint ventures and development, financing and leasing activities. The diversity of our clients provides us with a thorough understanding of the business objectives, issues and concerns of issuers and investors, institutions and entrepreneurs, underwriters, buyers and sellers of real estate and borrowers and lenders.
As one of the largest law firms in the world, we provide general corporate and securities advice to companies around the world, including many Fortune 500 and FTSE 250 issuers. We also bring the same resources to bear for our real estate clients in connection with:
- The formation and organization of REITs, UPREITs and non-listed public REITs, including roll-up transactions, spin-off formations of “downREIT partnerships” and conversions of existing corporations and partnerships into REITs.
- The formation of institutional and other real estate private equity and debt funds and joint ventures.
- Public and private M&A transactions, including tender and exchange offers.
- Debt and preferred equity portfolio financings.
- Portfolio acquisitions and dispositions, including contribution and OP unit transactions.
- Innovative acquisition strategies through joint venture and other arrangements.
- Initial Public Offerings.
- Private and public debt offerings, common and preferred equity and convertible securities, including continuous offerings and rights offerings.
- Mortgage-backed securitizations.
- Stock repurchase programs, including open market and negotiated repurchases.
- Redemptions and forced conversions.
- Capital and liability management of existing capital structures, including tender offers, exchange offers, buy-back programs, consent solicitations and negotiated redemptions and conversions.