Mayer Brown's global mining group works throughout the world, advising clients on a wide variety of transactions including project finance, environmental, corporate, construction, insurance and commodities matters. Our lawyers have extensive experience of the day-to-day legal, financial and operational issues faced by mineral producers and those who provide finance to the industry sector.
“Mining is a niche area where Mayer Brown is especially singled out for praise.” - Chambers Global 2010
“Mayer Brown International LLP is a ‘project finance powerhouse’ on the mining side” - Legal 500 UK 2011
The services we offer our clients include:
- Project Finance advising on project finance (both traditional bank debt and finance sourced in the capital markets), capital raising and production financing issues. We also advise on related issues such as advice on hedging, both as to structuring and documentation and in connection with regulatory aspects, as well as negotiating, reviewing and drafting leases, assignments, operating and exploration agreements.
- Corporate Finance advising mining companies on raising debt and equity in the capital markets.
- Construction & Engineering advice on EPC, EPCM and other project contracts, with onshore and offshore structures, co-ordination and offtake agreements and performance security.
- Corporate M&A advice on mergers, investments joint ventures as well as property exchanges, acquisitions and disposals of producing and undeveloped properties.
- Environment and planning advice on the engagement of environmental and planning consultants, environmental impact assessments and the Equator Principles, review of permissions and consents, allocation of environmental risk, advice in respect of REACH and corporate social responsibility policies.
These services are provided by lawyers who are qualified in a broad cross-section of jurisdictions and who, in many cases, speak several different languages. They are used to advising on major mining transactions and often have direct personal experience of working in the countries where projects are taking place.
Our global mining team consists of a number of leading individuals and is ranked in the top tier of legal providers for mining and minerals by the leading independent legal directory guides. In recent years, we have consistently been involved in the most interesting deals in the industry, many of which have been independently recognized as outstanding. These include:
- Boseto (Botswana) - African Mining Deal of the Year 2011 Project Finance Magazine
- Kwale mineral sands project (Kenya) – Development Funding Deal of the Year 2011 & 2006 Mining Journal and Africa Mining Deal of the Year 2011 Project Finance International
- Boleo mine (Mexico) – Latin America Mining Deal of the Year 2010 Project Finance International; Exploration and Development Funding Award Mining Journal
- Bisha project (Eritrea) - Africa Mining Deal of the Year 2009 Project Finance Magazine
- First Quantum Minerals (Zambia, Mauritania, DRC) – Deal of the Year 2007 Project Finance Magazine; Trade Finance Magazine
- Talvivaara (Finland) – European Mining Deal of the Year 2007 Project Finance Magazine 2007
- Tiomin (Kenya) – Development Funding Deal of the Year 2006 Mining Journal
- Voshkod Chrome (Kazakhstan) – European Mining Deal of the Year 2006 Project Finance Magazine
- Kupol Gold & Silver (Russia) – EMEA Mining Deal of the Year 2005 Project Finance Magazine, Project Finance International
In addition to the above awards, we are recognized as a stand-out firm in the Financial Times Innovative Lawyer Awards 2011 for our instrumental role in the development of a legal framework for Afghanistan’s mining industry.