The business and legal challenges arising from financial market disruptions continue to be felt worldwide, and the ramifications for business are extensive—they include new regulations, pending and potential enforcement and litigation matters, bankruptcies, corporate dealings and financial implications.
To properly respond to the financial crisis, participants in this market need advisors with understanding and insight into a wide range of related topics including finance, financial restructuring, government investigations and prosecutions, litigation, insurance & reinsurance and regulatory practices in Asia, Europe and the United States.
Mayer Brown's Global Financial Markets Initiative (GFMI) consists of lawyers from across these practice areas. We provide our clients with comprehensive advice and a strong, coordinated response to any challenge.
Our team includes:
- Lawyers with deep financial institution M&A experience and resources in the legal disciplines that are key to business combinations in the sector, including tax lawyers to advise on net operating losses and other insolvency tax planning issues.
- Seasoned financial services regulatory and government relations practitioners with substantial experience and strong relationships with financial regulatory agencies in the Americas, Europe and other jurisdictions, as well as all types of banks and other financial institutions.
- Internationally renowned finance attorneys with vast experience in the creation and structure of CDOs, the securitization and sale of residential mortgage loans and development of innovative financing transactions for banks and state-licensed mortgage lenders.
- Leading financial restructuring and bankruptcy practitioners who regularly advise failing banks, their holding companies, counterparties and potential investors and are experienced in the particular issues that arise when financial products become distressed.
- Accomplished litigators who have extensive experience representing our clients in litigation before various government enforcement agencies concerning financial products.
To keep our clients abreast of current developments, we provide a popular teleconference program which delivers topical summaries of key market issues. To find details of our next teleconference, or to listen to a sound recording from one of our previous events, please visit our Events page.